Recommend a good web-application framework for PHP

In summary, the speaker is looking for a good PHP framework and is considering WACT, Symfony, and Prado. They ask for recommendations and mention finding an old review from 2004. They also mention using PHP for basic tasks and installing it on IIS.

Which one do you recommend?

• PRADO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WACT

• Symfony

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Omid
Hi there,
I need a good PHP frame work. I googled it and find houndreds of them. I'm confused. I don't know which one to choose. But finally I arrived in a selection of three: 1. WACT. 2. Symfony. 3. Prado. Is there anybody who has tried all of the 3 frameworks? Please let me know. I just don't know what factors are important for choosing a good framework.
I found a good review of so many PHP frameworks at http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/5885 but the page is very old, 2004. Don't you know such a discussion somewhere on the net? ofcourse a more recent one.
Thanks alot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Unfortunately i haven't used any of the ones you mention. Are you looking to build applications with PHP that do not run on a WebServer?

No, It is to run on a webserver. I'm just looking for a good framework to make my life easier.
Have you ever used any other frameworks, not mentioned in my list?

I got PHP from www.php.net:
http://www.php.net/downloads.php
I'm not a PHP power user but for the stuff i used it (send mail, query MySQL database...) it worked well.
I did the manual installation, so i downloaded "PHP 5.1.2 zip package", not the installer. There are plenty of tutorials explaining how to install PHP on a webserver. I installed it on IIS. I think this is what you are looking for.

1. What is a web-application framework for PHP?

A web-application framework for PHP is a software framework that provides a structure and set of tools for developing web applications using the PHP programming language. It includes pre-written code and libraries that help developers to easily build and maintain complex web applications.

2. Why should I use a web-application framework for PHP?

Using a web-application framework for PHP can save you time and effort in the development process. It provides a solid foundation for your web application, improves code organization and maintainability, and offers built-in security features. It also allows for faster development and easier collaboration among team members.

3. What are some popular web-application frameworks for PHP?

Some popular web-application frameworks for PHP include Laravel, Symfony, CodeIgniter, and CakePHP. Each of these frameworks has its own strengths and features, so it's important to research and choose the one that best fits your project's needs.

4. What factors should I consider when choosing a web-application framework for PHP?

When choosing a web-application framework for PHP, it's important to consider factors such as your project's requirements, the framework's features and compatibility, the size and activity of its community, and your team's familiarity with the framework. You should also take into account the learning curve and documentation of the framework.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a web-application framework for PHP?

While web-application frameworks for PHP offer many benefits, there are some potential drawbacks to consider. These can include a steeper learning curve for beginners, limitations in customization, and potential performance issues. It's important to carefully weigh the pros and cons and choose a framework that best suits your project's needs.