Recommend me a calculus of variation book

In summary, the speaker is struggling with understanding variation techniques in the lagrange mechanics chapter of Marion's Classical Mechanics and is looking for a book recommendation on calculus of variation for physics. They are advised to check out "Mathematical methods for physicists" by Arfken and Weber, or "mathematical methods in the physical sciences" by Mary Boas as a more beginner-friendly option before diving into Arfken's book.
junhyeok
Hi!
I have some trobles while studying the lagrange mechanics chapter of Marion's Classical Mechanics.
There are some variation techniques in that book, but I only studied calculus and elementary linear algebra in my freshman year. I can't understand how partial derivation and delta notation works. Therefore I want to study more about the variation techniques.
Can you recommend me a book about calculus of variation for physics?

Sorry for my poor english :x

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
"Mathematical methods for physicists" by Arfken and Weber has a chapter on this which is pretty good I think.
In case you find the above book difficult to read, you can try "mathematical methods in the physical sciences" by Mary Boas. But its still good to at least take a glance at Arfken's because it usually deepens the understanding after having some first exposure.

Last edited:

Related to Recommend me a calculus of variation book

1. What is calculus of variations?

Calculus of variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal function or curve that minimizes or maximizes a certain quantity, such as area, energy, or cost.

2. Why is it important to study calculus of variations?

Calculus of variations has many practical applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. It also provides a powerful framework for solving optimization problems and understanding the behavior of systems.

3. What are some good introductory books on calculus of variations?

Some popular introductory books on calculus of variations include "Calculus of Variations" by I.M. Gelfand and S.V. Fomin, "Calculus of Variations" by Robert Weinstock, and "Calculus of Variations" by Lev Elsgolc.

4. What level of mathematics is required to understand calculus of variations?

A solid understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is necessary to fully grasp the concepts and techniques used in calculus of variations. Some familiarity with real analysis and functional analysis can also be helpful.

5. Are there any online resources or video lectures available for learning calculus of variations?

Yes, there are many online resources and video lectures available for learning calculus of variations. Some recommended resources include the MIT OpenCourseWare lecture series on calculus of variations and the Khan Academy video series on the topic.