Recycle Electricity: Is It a Good Idea to Build a Long-Lasting Device?

In summary, if you can recycle electricity with a device made of pieces of equipment that ware out very slowly (Years or longer) would it be a good idea to build such a device? that depends on the devices in question, the state of the devices, and how you are using them.
Smitty
If I can recycle electricity with a device made of pieces of equipment that ware out very slowly (Years or longer) would it be a good idea to build such a device?

Engineering news on Phys.org
that depends on the devices in question, the state of the devices, and how you are using them.

In general as long as the parts are not defective and operating correctly it should be fine

Welcome to PF!

What does the phrase "recycle electricity" mean?

"recycle electricity": After the electricity has been used for the primary purpose, say a light bulb, then using the light from the light bulb to create electricity for another purpose.

that would be pointless. you are collecting so little energy, its not at all worth it.

Well actually this is done for several things I can think of, so if the power need is small and wiring impractical/undesirable it could be useful. Examples:

Calculators
Faucets
Data loggers

I just realized I misunderstood your original post. I thought you wanted to recycle old electronics for a new purpose

Better than trying to re-use energy or materials is to use less of them in the first place. The savings are tax free, too. For all those little devices that run for years on a primary battery - keep using the batteries; they cost so little to run per day and you have true portability.

The philosopher's stone would be a non-contacting way of recharging mobile phones etc that costs little enough that you can have one in every room (every surface). Also, you need a way of reminding you to pick up the phone as you leave the room.
I really don't think that the 'charge anywhere in the room' system will ever be obtainable. Just wait until e-ink is good enough for fast, colourful displays and battery life will be a problem of the past.

Related to Recycle Electricity: Is It a Good Idea to Build a Long-Lasting Device?

1. What is the purpose of recycling electricity?

The purpose of recycling electricity is to reduce the amount of energy and resources needed to create new devices. By reusing materials from old devices, we can conserve natural resources and reduce the environmental impact of manufacturing.

2. Is it cost-effective to recycle electricity?

While the initial cost of building a long-lasting device may be higher, the long-term savings from not having to constantly replace devices can make it cost-effective. Additionally, the environmental benefits of recycling electricity can have a positive impact on society and reduce costs in other areas.

3. How does recycling electricity benefit the environment?

Recycling electricity reduces the amount of electronic waste that ends up in landfills, which can be harmful to the environment due to the toxic chemicals and materials used in electronic devices. It also conserves natural resources and reduces the energy consumption and carbon emissions associated with manufacturing new devices.

4. Can any device be recycled for electricity?

Most electronic devices can be recycled for electricity, but it depends on the specific materials and components used in the device. Some materials, such as lithium-ion batteries, require specialized recycling processes. It is important to properly research and dispose of electronic devices in accordance with local regulations.

5. What are the challenges of recycling electricity?

One of the main challenges of recycling electricity is the difficulty in separating and extracting valuable materials from electronic waste. This process requires specialized technology and can be expensive. There may also be issues with the quality and efficiency of recycled materials, which can affect the overall effectiveness of recycling electricity.