Redshift of spinning star surface as seen on axis

In summary, the conversation discusses the expected redshift of a spinning star's surface as seen from a distant point on the axis. The argument is that clocks run at the same rate and the redshift is the same at different locations on the surface, and this holds true for a distant observer on the axis as well. However, it is mentioned that this is not entirely correct as the Doppler shift due to rotation can be measured on the sun and other stars. The discussion also brings up the transversal Doppler effect and relativistic time dilation, and how they play a role in the redshift observed from the axis.
Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
I think I heard long ago that the redshift of all parts of the surface of a spinning star as seen from a distant point on the axis is expected to be the same, at least in theory, because of the following argument. Please can anyone confirm or refute this?

A body which is capable of being shaped by its own gravity forms a shape such that locally the surface is "level" or "equipotential" as seen by a local observer. The "potential" for this purpose is a combination of the effect of gravity and the effective potential for the centripetal acceleration caused by the rotation. This means that clocks run at the same rate at different locations on the surface, as seen locally, so clocks over the whole surface can be synchronized. This means that as seen from a distant position on the axis, the clocks rates are also synchronized, and similarly that the redshift of any processes at the surface is also the same.

From the distant point of view, this is because the Special Relativity velocity time dilation for points further from the axis is exactly balanced by being at a higher gravitational potential.

Is this correct? It seems plausible to me, but I'd like a second opinion.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I am note sure if that accounts for the transversal Doppler effect as well. If that is negligible, I agree.

No, it is not correct. Doppler shift due to rotation is rather easily measured on the sun, which rotates at a leisurely 2 km/s - http://www.eyes-on-the-skies.org/shs/spec-rot-gb.htm. This is quite difficult to do, however, for other stars.

Chronos said:
No, it is not correct. Doppler shift due to rotation is rather easily measured on the sun, which rotates at a leisurely 2 km/s - http://www.eyes-on-the-skies.org/shs/spec-rot-gb.htm. This is quite difficult to do, however, for other stars.

I'm well aware that one can see Doppler shift from rotation from a point off the axis, thanks.

But I was asking about the redshift as seen from a point on the axis, where all the usual Doppler shifts should cancel out, and the "transverse Doppler shift" is simply the same as the SR velocity dilation. If the argument about effective equipotentials is correct, the poles should be at an extremely slightly lower gravitational potential than the equator, and the resulting difference in time dilation should exactly match the velocity time dilation.

This is of course a much smaller effect than Doppler shift, in that the Doppler shift is related to v/c but the time dilation is roughly 1/2 (v2/c2).

Last edited:
sorry if i have not understood correctly.
if you are looking on the axis of the star. there will be no doppler shift as there is no movement in the radial direction but only in a travserse direction..

waiting to be corrected!

@goldsax: There is a transversal doppler effect as result of relativistic time dilation, and gravitational redshift as result of the lower gravitational potential on the surface (compared to free space).

mfb said:
@goldsax: There is a transversal doppler effect as result of relativistic time dilation, and gravitational redshift as result of the lower gravitational potential on the surface (compared to free space).

cheers for that ...
next module... relativistic physics...

What is the "Redshift of spinning star surface as seen on axis"?

The "Redshift of spinning star surface as seen on axis" refers to the phenomenon where the wavelength of light emitted from a star's surface is stretched due to the star's rotational velocity. This results in a shift towards the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum when viewed from a perpendicular angle to the star's axis of rotation.

What causes the redshift of a spinning star's surface?

The redshift of a spinning star's surface is caused by the Doppler effect. As the star rotates, the side of the star moving towards the observer appears to have a shorter wavelength, resulting in a blue shift. On the other hand, the side of the star moving away from the observer appears to have a longer wavelength, resulting in a red shift.

How is the redshift of a spinning star's surface measured?

The redshift of a spinning star's surface can be measured using spectroscopy. By analyzing the spectrum of light emitted from the star, astronomers can determine the shift in wavelength and calculate the rotational velocity of the star's surface.

What can the redshift of a spinning star's surface tell us about the star's properties?

The redshift of a spinning star's surface can provide information about the star's rotational velocity and the orientation of its axis of rotation. It can also give insight into the star's magnetic field and the presence of any companion stars in a binary system.

Is the redshift of a spinning star's surface significant in the study of astrophysics?

Yes, the redshift of a spinning star's surface is an important factor in astrophysics. It is used to study the rotation and dynamics of stars, as well as the effects of relativity. It also plays a role in the study of cosmology and the expansion of the universe.