Reducing Order of Differential Equation: t^2y'' - 4ty' + 6y = 0 [SOLVED]

• Thread starter jesuslovesu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using the reduction of order method. The original equation is t^2 y'' - 4ty' + 6y = 0 with y_1(t) = t^2 as the given solution. The attempt at a solution involves substituting y(t) = v(t) t^2 and solving for v''. The final solution is y= Ct^3 + Dt^2. The importance of avoiding division by t= 0 is also mentioned.
jesuslovesu
[SOLVED] Reduce Order (diff eq)

nevermind i got it, cliffsnotes ftw

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation using the reduction of order method.
[tex]t^2 y'' - 4ty' + 6y = 0[/tex]
[tex]t > 0[/tex]
[tex]y_1 (t) = t^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well The first thing I do is
[tex]y(t) = v(t) t^2[/tex]
Then I find y' and y'' and plug into the original diff eq and get
[tex]t^4 v'' = 0[/tex]
Which I'll assume is correct.

But now I'm really not sure what to do with that. I could do integration by parts? but that doesn't seem to lead anywhere. How do I get from there to t^3 (the other solution)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm glad you solved it yourself- you would have felt embarassed if someone else had pointed out the obvious!

You divide both sides by t4 to get v"= 0. Since v" is 0, v'= C, a constant. Then v= Ct+ D, another constant. Since y= vt2, y= Ct3+ Dt2 is the general solution. By the way, we can divide by t4 only if t is not 0. The equation is singular at t= 0- the existence and uniqueness theorem does not apply if we are given intial conditions at t= 0. For example, there is no solution if we are given y(0)= 1, y'(0)= 0.

What is "Reduce Order" in differential equations?

"Reduce Order" in differential equations is a method used to simplify a higher order differential equation into a lower order one. This makes it easier to solve the equation and find a general solution.

Why is "Reduce Order" important in solving differential equations?

"Reduce Order" is important because it allows us to solve higher order differential equations that may be too complex to solve using traditional methods. By reducing the order, we can find a general solution that can be applied to a wide range of problems.

How is "Reduce Order" achieved in differential equations?

"Reduce Order" is achieved by using a substitution method, such as the Euler or Runge-Kutta method, to replace higher order derivatives with lower order ones. This results in a simpler differential equation that can be solved using traditional methods.

What are the limitations of "Reduce Order" in differential equations?

One limitation of "Reduce Order" is that it may not work for all types of differential equations. Some equations may be too complex to be simplified by reducing the order. Additionally, the process of reducing the order may lead to the loss of some important information or solutions.

Can "Reduce Order" be applied to systems of differential equations?

Yes, "Reduce Order" can be applied to systems of differential equations. In this case, the process involves finding a transformation that reduces the order of the system as a whole, rather than just one equation. This can be done using methods such as the similarity transformation or the normal form transformation.