Networking Problems? LLDP Didn't work

In summary, the person is seeking help with connecting their Vista machines and XP desktop for printing. They have tried finding a network printer but have encountered an invalid host name error. They also uninstalled Norton Internet Security and disabled their firewall, but still had no luck. They provide their ipconfig /all which shows that their print server is assigned an address by DHCP and they are unsure if they have an address reservation set. They are seeking guidance on how to fix this issue and mention that they have a D-Link router in a small office setting.
faitswulff
Sorry, don't like using you guys as tech support, but I didn't know where else to go. I can't seem to get printing between my vista machines (4 of them) and my XP desktop, which most of my printers are connected to. I tried finding a network printer - it'll see the name of the desktop, but upon connecting it will say that it is an invalid host name. I installed LLDP on the desktop, to no avail. I don't know where else to go with this. If you could direct me a little bit, or even to another trustworthy forum, I would be greatly appreciative.

I also uninstalled Norton Internet Security and disabled my firewall - no luck. My ipconfig /all looks conspicuously short, though...I have a feeling that there's something wrong with this machine that is beyond the ken of mere mortals. So, I turn to you...

Here's my ipconfig /all, by the way:

Code:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Vital Points Therapy>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : FrontDesk
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82562V-2 10/100 Network Con
nection
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-09-8F-30-CE
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.105
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:13:45 P
M
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:13:45 P
M

C:\Documents and Settings\Vital Points Therapy>

PS, it's a small office; we're running some sort of D-Link router and we really need printing capabilities

Computer science news on Phys.org
The only thing that jumps out with regard to your ipconfig is that your print server is being assigned an address by DHCP.

Do you have an address reservation set for it in the DHCP server? If not, you either need to reserve the IP, or give it a static address.

Otherwise, you'll get everything set up and working, then it'll break for no apparent reason when the IP changes.

Dear colleague,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your networking issues. I understand the importance of efficient and reliable communication in any workplace, and I am happy to offer some suggestions to help resolve your problem.

Firstly, have you tried troubleshooting the issue by checking the network settings on all of your machines? It may be helpful to ensure that all devices are on the same network and subnet, and that they are all using the same DNS server. This can often be the cause of issues with network printing.

Additionally, you mentioned that you have installed LLDP on your desktop without success. Have you also checked the settings on your other Vista machines to see if they have LLDP installed and configured correctly? Sometimes a mismatch in LLDP settings can cause issues with network connectivity.

Furthermore, it may be worth checking if your D-Link router has any settings that could be blocking the connection between your Vista machines and the XP desktop. You can also try temporarily disabling any firewalls or security software on all of the devices to see if that helps with the connection.

Lastly, I would recommend reaching out to the manufacturer of your D-Link router for further assistance. They may be able to provide specific troubleshooting steps or recommend a different forum for technical support.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in resolving your networking problems. If you continue to experience difficulties, please do not hesitate to reach out for further assistance.

Best,

1. Why is my LLDP not working?

There could be several reasons why LLDP (Link Layer Discovery Protocol) is not working. Some common causes include incorrect configuration, network equipment compatibility issues, or network connectivity problems.

2. How can I troubleshoot LLDP issues?

To troubleshoot LLDP issues, you can start by verifying that LLDP is enabled on all network devices and that the devices are connected to the same network. You can also check the LLDP configuration to ensure that it is correctly set up. Additionally, you can use LLDP debugging tools or network monitoring software to identify any potential problems.

3. Can LLDP cause network problems?

In most cases, LLDP should not cause network problems. However, if it is not configured properly or there are compatibility issues, it can potentially disrupt network communication. It is essential to ensure that LLDP is set up correctly to avoid any network problems.

4. Why is LLDP important for networking?

LLDP is important for networking because it allows devices to discover and communicate with each other on a network. It enables automatic device configuration, simplifies troubleshooting, and provides more efficient network management.

5. Is there an alternative to LLDP for network discovery?

Yes, there are alternative protocols to LLDP for network discovery, such as Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP) and Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD). However, LLDP is an industry-standard protocol and is supported by most network equipment manufacturers, making it a popular choice for network discovery.