Reference Letters for Co-op/Internship | 3rd Year Engineering Student

• Thread starter scothoward
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reference
In summary, the conversation revolves around whether or not it is advisable to include reference letters with a resume and cover letter when applying for internships. The general consensus is that it is not necessary to include them, but it may be a good idea to mention that references are available upon request at the bottom of the resume. It is also mentioned to keep the resume short and only provide references when asked or during a face-to-face interview.
scothoward
Hi, I am currently a 3rd year electrical engineering student and I will looking for 12-16 month co-op/internship following the completion of this year.

I have received some reference letters from my professors and just wanted to know, is it advisable to include one or two along with my resume and cover letter? Or would it be better to pass them along to the recruiter/hiring manager at the time of the interview?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Scothoward,

I'm not sure how important reference letters are unless the employer wants them.

My manager at IBM told me to not even put References are available upon request because its taking up space and its assumed if we want references, you'll give them to us.

(after I was hired he showed us how to write a good resume)

The rule of thumb is to never make the resume more than 1 page, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to include them or not, I guess it all depends on what company you are going for and how they treat things like that.

I think if you can get a face to face interview with him, you should give him your recommendation letters then, not at the career fair though.

Last edited:
Yeah, keep the resume short and sweet.

I wouldn't hand out reference letters left and right either. Only to employers that show interest.

I agree with the others: don't include references, but just add on the bottom of your CV "references available on request" or something like that. Then you can provide them if and when you are asked.

cristo said:
I agree with the others: don't include references, but just add on the bottom of your CV "references available on request" or something like that. Then you can provide them if and when you are asked.

But coffee has a good point to not put "references available upon request".

That's like say you got a high school diploma on your resume. They already know you got one. They also know that references are (SHOULD) available upon request. It's a waste of precious space.

JasonRox said:
That's like say you got a high school diploma on your resume. They already know you got one.
But the OP is applying for an internship without actually having a degree, so the only official qualifications he has is his high school diploma, which should clearly be put on a resume!
They also know that references are (SHOULD) available upon request. It's a waste of precious space.
I always put references available upon request, since it shows I have thought in advance and have referees! Why implicitly imply something when you could tell them!

I've never heard of someone not getting an interview because they had "Reference are available upon request". I see no harm in actually putting it at the very bottom. Sure, they probably assume that they are available, but it's more of a formality than anything else. Just like cover letters and thank you notes!

no harm in putting that at the bottom. It is kind of reassuring for an employer, that someone is willing to stick up for you.

Related to Reference Letters for Co-op/Internship | 3rd Year Engineering Student

1. How do I request a reference letter for a co-op/internship?

To request a reference letter, you should reach out to a professor or supervisor who knows you well and can speak to your skills and experiences. You can send them an email or schedule a meeting to discuss your request. It's important to give them enough notice and provide them with any necessary information about the position or program you are applying for.

2. Are there specific guidelines for writing a reference letter for a co-op/internship?

Yes, there are some general guidelines to follow when writing a reference letter for a co-op/internship. It should be one page in length and include specific examples of your skills and experiences that are relevant to the position. It should also be written in a professional tone and highlight your strengths and qualifications.

3. Can I provide my own reference letter for a co-op/internship?

It is not recommended to provide your own reference letter for a co-op/internship. It is important to have an objective and unbiased perspective from someone else. However, you can provide your references with a list of your accomplishments and experiences to help them write a more effective letter.

4. How many reference letters do I need for a co-op/internship?

The number of reference letters required for a co-op/internship can vary depending on the program or position. It's best to check with the organization you are applying to for their specific requirements. In general, it's a good idea to have at least 2-3 reference letters from different sources to provide a well-rounded view of your abilities.

5. What should I do if I don't have any work experience to include in my reference letters?

If you don't have any work experience, you can still ask for reference letters from professors or mentors who can speak to your academic achievements and potential. You can also include any relevant coursework or projects that demonstrate your skills and abilities. It's important to provide your references with as much information as possible to help them write a strong letter on your behalf.