Reference point of geocentric lunar latitude?

In summary, the algorithm in question finds a geocentric position of the moon given a certain day. I have been able to find the geocentric longitude of the moon, but I don't know what this longitude is in reference to. 0 degrees of longitude points to the vernal equinox point like heliocentric systems or something else?
jwberck
I'm attempting to use an algorithm translated from Jean Meeus: Astronomical Algorithms. The algorithm in question finds a geocentric position of the moon given a certain day. I have been able to find the geocentric longitude of the moon, but I don't know what this longitude is in reference to. What would 0 degrees of longitude point to? Would it be the vernal equinox point like heliocentric systems or something else?

Thanks!

EDIT: I meant longitude, not latitude

Astronomy news on Phys.org
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/geocentric-longitude

Is that enough? I think it is geometry from there.

0 degrees longitude would probably point to an observatory in Greenwich England. If it is an old French book it might point to the observatory near Paris France. There was a big argument about this back in the day. The United States butted in and decided to side with the Brits in 1884.

My bad, I think I need to be more specific. I'm referring to an ecliptic coordinate system found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecliptic_coordinate_system . From this page I think 0 degrees would be the vernal exquinox. However, now I need to know the position of the Earth in this system as well... anyone have an idea of how to calculate that? I can't find it in Astronomical Algorithms.

jwberck said:
From this page I think 0 degrees would be the vernal exquinox.
Yes, that's the primary direction, just as with the heliocentric system. Only pointing the other way (from Earth to Sun, rather than Sun to Earth)
jwberck said:
However, now I need to know the position of the Earth in this system as well... anyone have an idea of how to calculate that?
You won't be able to do that, since, true to its name, in the geocentric ecliptic coordinate system Earth is at the centre of the sphere of coordinates projected onto the sky. It's like asking what is the longitude of the north pole.
But I don't understand why would you need that for, so there's likely still some misunderstanding here.

I'll elaborate on what I'm working on to show you what the problem is. I'm building a software display that shows the actual position of the moon and Earth in relation to the sun from a top down 2d perspective of the ecliptic plane. So I've found the position of the moon in relation to the Earth using a geocentric ecliptic system and I know that the 0 degree point of this system points towards the vernal equinox. Now I need to figure out how to have the Earth in the correct position using a heliocentric ecliptic coordinate system. Currently the top of the display represents January 1st UTC and makes one revolution in one year. I'm thinking the top needs to be the date of the march or September equinox for everything to be positioned realistically in relation to the sun assuming 0 degrees in the moons system points towards the top of the display. This is the sort of thing I'm building, but with actual positioning. http://bl.ocks.org/clayzermk1/9142407

The position of the Earth during the (northern)vernal equinox in the heliocentric system is the opposite of the position of the Sun in the geocentric system at the same moment in time.
Whether you make that the top of the animation or somewhere else, it doesn't matter. You can still count from 1st Jan at 12 o'clock, and just make sure that the direction to the 0 point of the coordinate system you're using for placement of the Moon points towards the Sun on 20th March (or whatever it falls on).

So, if
jwberck said:
assuming 0 degrees in the moons system points towards the top of the display
means the 0 (=primary) direction of the geocentric system, and you want to keep the orientation, then the Earth should be placed at the bottom of the display (which would mark 20th March of this year), so that it correctly points towards the Sun during the northern vernal equinox.
You can then rotate the whole thing to make 12 o'clock wherever you want.

Or keep everything as it is, just change 12 o'clock to the autumn equinox instead of 1st Jan.

Last edited:
I got it working correctly, thank you all for your help!

1. What is a reference point of geocentric lunar latitude?

A reference point of geocentric lunar latitude is a fixed location on the surface of the Earth that is used as a reference for measuring the latitude of the Moon. This point is typically the center of the Earth.

2. How is the reference point of geocentric lunar latitude determined?

The reference point of geocentric lunar latitude is determined using the geocentric coordinate system, which takes into account the Earth's rotation and its position in relation to the Moon. This point is also known as the geocenter.

3. Why is the reference point of geocentric lunar latitude important?

The reference point of geocentric lunar latitude is important because it allows us to accurately measure the latitude of the Moon from a fixed point on Earth. This is crucial in understanding the Moon's position and movement in relation to the Earth.

4. How does the reference point of geocentric lunar latitude differ from the reference point of geocentric lunar longitude?

The reference point of geocentric lunar latitude is used to measure the north-south position of the Moon, while the reference point of geocentric lunar longitude is used to measure the east-west position. The two points are located at the same location, the geocenter, but are used for different measurements.

5. Can the reference point of geocentric lunar latitude change?

No, the reference point of geocentric lunar latitude does not change. It is a fixed location at the center of the Earth and remains the same regardless of the Moon's position or movement.