References for tunneling decay in magnetic fields

In summary, the conversation is about finding introductory references for the topic of time of tunnelling decay in the presence of both a potential barrier and a magnetic field. The person is interested in the basic theory and mentions finding complicated cases in condensed matter. They clarify that they are considering a single particle in a 3D radial potential with a constant and uniform magnetic field. The type of particle is important in understanding the interaction with the magnetic field. The person suggests alpha particles as the more interesting option, but acknowledges that a spineless charged particle would be the simplest case to start with.
andresB
I'm looking for introductory references to the topic of time of tunnelling decay when besides the potential barrier there is also a magnetic field present. I have found a couple of articles about the topic but they treat complicated cases in condensed matter, I'm more interested in the basic of the theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of system are you considering?

For a start, the case of a single particle in a 3D radial potential + a constant and uniform magnetic field.

What kind of particle? I'm asking because the nature of the interaction with the magnetic field is important.

Well, uhm, alpha particles would be the more interesting ( but I guess a spineless charged particle would be the simplest case for a start)

Bump, just in case.

1. What is tunneling decay in magnetic fields?

Tunneling decay in magnetic fields is a quantum mechanical phenomenon where a particle or system tunnels through a potential barrier in the presence of a magnetic field. It is a manifestation of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and can occur in various physical systems, such as nuclear decay and electron tunneling.

2. How does tunneling decay in magnetic fields occur?

Tunneling decay in magnetic fields occurs when a particle or system has insufficient energy to overcome a potential barrier, but the magnetic field affects the energy levels in such a way that the particle is able to tunnel through the barrier. This is because the magnetic field changes the shape of the potential barrier, allowing for a lower energy state to exist on the other side.

3. What are the applications of tunneling decay in magnetic fields?

Tunneling decay in magnetic fields has various applications in fields such as nuclear physics, quantum computing, and spintronics. It is also an important phenomenon in understanding the stability and decay of nuclei in nuclear reactions and radioactive decay.

4. Is tunneling decay in magnetic fields a rare occurrence?

No, tunneling decay in magnetic fields is a common phenomenon in quantum systems and has been observed in many experiments. It is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles on a microscopic level.

5. How is tunneling decay in magnetic fields studied?

Tunneling decay in magnetic fields is studied through various experimental techniques, such as scanning tunneling microscopy and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Theoretical models and simulations are also used to understand and predict the behavior of particles in magnetic fields and their potential for tunneling decay.