How Does Reflecting a Particle Stream Affect the Force on a Surface?

In summary: I'm not sure how helpful my response will be, but I'll provide a summary nonetheless.In summary, the conversation discusses the force on a surface caused by a one-dimensional stream of particles reflecting back from the surface with a different speed. The resulting force is found by calculating the change in momentum of the particle stream, which is equal to the incoming momentum minus the outgoing momentum. The outgoing momentum can be calculated by multiplying the particle density, mass, and velocity, while the incoming momentum only requires the density and velocity. The conversation also mentions the conservation of momentum and the difference between the spatial and time intervals in terms of constant values.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

A one-dimensional stream of particles of mass ##m## with density ##\lambda## particles per unit length, moving with speed ##v##, reflects back from a surface, leaving with a different speed ##v'##, as shown. Find the force on the surface

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The incoming momentum of the particle stream is ##\lambda m v^2## and the outgoing momentum is ##\lambda m v'^2##, thus the change in momentum of the particle stream by the mirror is ##\lambda m (v^2 + v'^2)##. Thus the force on the mirror is also ##\lambda m (v^2 + v'^2)##.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nearly.
Mr Davis 97 said:
and the outgoing momentum is ##\lambda m v'^2##
How did you get this?

Is the particle density still the same for the outgoing stream?

Well, ##\lambda## is particles per unit length. If we multiply by m we get the mass of the stream per unit length, which is ##\lambda m## If we multiply this by v we get the momentum per unit length, and if we multiply by v again we get the momentum per second, which is exactly the incoming change in momentum. So ##\lambda m v^2## is the incoming change in momentum. Now it seems that the outgoing change in momentum would be ##\lambda m v'^2##, but you are saying that the particle density may not be the same for the outgoing stream, but I don't see how the velocity of the particles changes the number of particles per unit length... Wouldn't they all be the same length from each other, except going slower?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Well, ##\lambda## is particles per unit length. If we multiply by m we get the mass of the stream per unit length, which is ##\lambda m## If we multiply this by v we get the momentum per unit length, and if we multiply by v again we get the momentum per second, which is exactly the incoming change in momentum. So ##\lambda m v^2## is the incoming change in momentum. Now it seems that the outgoing change in momentum would be ##\lambda m v'^2##, but you are saying that the particle density may not be the same for the outgoing stream, but I don't see how the velocity of the particles changes the number of particles per unit length... Wouldn't they all be the same length from each other, except going slower?

Have you ever watched a motor race? Like the formula 1. What happens when the cars get to the fastest part of the track? And the slowest?

Likes mfb
What is the conserved quantity in the stream? It is not the density.

Is the momentum conserved?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Is the momentum conserved?
Given you are calculating the force caused by the change in momentum, that can hardly be conserved.

You didn't answer my question about the racing cars. It's the time interval not the spatial interval that remains constant. Think about it.

The initial momentum is P1=λmv^2t .
(you that that by P1=M*v , M=λd , d is the distance between the last particle that hits the mirror during t and mirror , d=v*t ->P1=λmv^2t ) .
Each particle must be reflect (same M) -> P2=(-M*v')=(-λmvv't) .
F=|P2-P1|/t=λm(v^2+vv') .
I hope I helped.
Sorry for my poor english.

Voicu said:
The initial momentum is P1=λmv^2t .
(you that that by P1=M*v , M=λd , d is the distance between the last particle that hits the mirror during t and mirror , d=v*t ->P1=λmv^2t ) .
Each particle must be reflect (same M) -> P2=(-M*v')=(-λmvv't) .
F=|P2-P1|/t=λm(v^2+vv') .
I hope I helped.
Sorry for my poor english.
The thread is over two years old,

1. What is a reflected particle stream?

A reflected particle stream refers to a flow of particles or subatomic particles that have been reflected off of a surface or barrier. This phenomenon can occur in various scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and astronomy.

2. How does a reflected particle stream form?

A reflected particle stream forms when particles collide with a surface at an angle and are reflected back in the opposite direction. This occurs due to the conservation of momentum and energy laws.

3. What are some real-life examples of reflected particle streams?

One example of a reflected particle stream is the reflection of sunlight off of the surface of a lake or a mirror. Another example is the reflection of sound waves off of a wall or other solid surface.

4. What is the importance of studying reflected particle streams?

Studying reflected particle streams can provide insights into the behavior of particles at a microscopic level and can also help in understanding various natural phenomena. It also has practical applications in fields such as optics, acoustics, and material science.

5. Can reflected particle streams be manipulated?

Yes, reflected particle streams can be manipulated by altering the angle of incidence, the properties of the reflecting surface, and the type and energy of the particles. This manipulation can be used for various purposes such as controlling the direction of a laser beam or designing reflective surfaces for specific applications.