Coaxial cable conductors with dielectric: polarization of charge

In summary, the author found a relationship between the voltage and the polarization charge density. However, the voltage is needed to get to the correct polarization charge density, which is different than the linear charge density found in post #1.
Granger

Homework Statement

Consider a coaxial cable which consists of an inner cylindrical conductor of radius R1, and a shell cylindrical conductor of radii R2 and R3. The 2 conductors are separated with a dielectric material of permittivity ε. Consider the length of the cable, ℓ, much larger than R3. The cable is connected to a voltage source V. Determine the polarization charge distribution per unit of length.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

So I have no problem calculating the surface polarization charge distribution.
Having:

$$D=\frac{\lambda}{2 \pi r}$$
$$E=\frac{\lambda}{2 \pi \epsilon r}$$
$$P=\frac{\lambda (\epsilon - \epsilon_0)}{2 \pi r \epsilon}$$
$$V=\frac{\lambda}{2 \pi \epsilon} \times \log{\frac{R_2}{R_1}}$$

Than we should have in r=R1:

$$\sigma= -\frac{V (\epsilon - \epsilon_0)}{R_1 \log{\frac{R_2}{R_1}} }$$

Now they as for the density by unit of length and the answer should be:

$$\lambda= -\frac{2 \pi V (\epsilon - \epsilon_0)}{\log{\frac{R_2}{R_1}} }$$

According to the answer, the relation between lambda and sigma should be:

$$\lambda = 2 \pi R_1 \sigma$$

However I don't understand how it can be?
So my question is exactly how to get to that relation between lambda and sigma (if that relation is correct, of course).
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This equation ##\lambda = 2 \pi R_1 \sigma## is dimensionally incorrect. Probably a typo. ##R_1## must be in the denominator. Then it will be consistent with what you got.

On edit: The relation is not dimensionally incorrect. Sorry, I got confused. :oops:

Last edited:
kuruman said:
This equation ##\lambda = 2 \pi R_1 \sigma## is dimensionally incorrect. Probably a typo. ##R_1## must be in the denominator. Then it will be consistent with what you got.

But if R1 is in the denominator then I will not get to the answer.
Do you know how should I proceed?

You have an expression for ##V## and an expression for ##\sigma##. Did you not derive these? What happens if you put your expression for ##V## in your expression for ##\sigma##?

Yes what I did was I took my expression for ##V##, isolated ##\lambda## in that expression and substituted in my expression for ##P##. That was how I got to my expression for sigma (with a minus sign).
If I substitute V back to my sigma expression I will have:

$$\sigma= -\frac{\lambda (\epsilon - \epsilon_0)}{R_1 2 \pi \epsilon}$$

And equaling this new expression to the expression I had for ##\lambda## before:

$$\lambda= -\frac{2 \pi \epsilon}{\log {R1/R2}}$$

Which is different from the expression for lambda I got before!
What am I doing wrong?

You did not quote any relevant equations, but appear to have used quite a few.
What equation did you use to obtain V from P?

Actually, you can get the polarization charge density using ##\sigma=\vec{P} \cdot \hat{n}_{out}## without figuring out the voltage. Unfortunately the result is the same as in post #5. However, if you use the boundary condition ##(\vec{D}_2-\vec{D}_1)\cdot \hat{n}=\sigma_{free}## and that ##\vec{D}_1=0## at the conductor, you get ##\frac{\lambda}{2 \pi R_1} =\sigma_{free}##. It appears then that the ##\sigma## mentioned in the relation given by the solution is ##\sigma_{free}##.

kuruman said:
Actually, you can get the polarization charge density using ##\sigma=\vec{P} \cdot \hat{n}_{out}## without figuring out the voltage.
I don't understand. The given voltage is the only way to find ##\vec{P}##, no?

haruspex said:
I don't understand. The given voltage is the only way to find ##\vec{P}##, no?
In post #1, OP found D using Gauss's Law, where λ is the linear free charge density. Then apparently OP combined ##\vec{D}=\epsilon_0 \vec{E}+\vec{P}## and ##\vec{D}=\epsilon \vec{E}## to find ##P=\frac{\lambda (\epsilon - \epsilon_0)}{2 \pi r \epsilon}##. Is there a pitfall with OP's reasoning? I don't see one, but I have fallen into pits before.

kuruman said:
In post #1, OP found D using Gauss's Law, where λ is the linear free charge density. Then apparently OP combined ##\vec{D}=\epsilon_0 \vec{E}+\vec{P}## and ##\vec{D}=\epsilon \vec{E}## to find ##P=\frac{\lambda (\epsilon - \epsilon_0)}{2 \pi r \epsilon}##. Is there a pitfall with OP's reasoning? I don't see one, but I have fallen into pits before.
But λ is to be found. The givens are V, the radii and the permittivity. The OP found a relationship between V and λ as a way of finding λ, not as a way of finding V.

Yes, in the equation ##P=\frac{\lambda (\epsilon - \epsilon_0)}{2 \pi r \epsilon}##, ##\lambda## should be more correctly written as ##\lambda_{free}##. It is not the polarization linear charge density. The voltage is needed to eliminate ##\lambda_{free}## from the equation.

1. What is a coaxial cable?

A coaxial cable is a type of electrical cable that is commonly used for transmitting radio frequency signals. It consists of two conductors, a center wire and an outer cylindrical shell, separated by a dielectric material.

2. What is the purpose of the dielectric in a coaxial cable?

The dielectric in a coaxial cable serves as an insulating material between the center wire and the outer shell. It helps to maintain the integrity of the signal being transmitted by preventing interference and minimizing signal loss.

3. How does polarization of charge occur in a coaxial cable?

Polarization of charge occurs in a coaxial cable when an electric field is applied to the dielectric material. This causes the molecules in the dielectric to align themselves, creating a separation of positive and negative charges along the length of the cable.

4. What are the benefits of using coaxial cable conductors with dielectric?

Coaxial cable conductors with dielectric provide several benefits, including low signal loss, high bandwidth capabilities, and effective shielding against interference. They are also durable and can be used for long-distance transmissions.

5. How do you choose the right coaxial cable for a specific application?

Choosing the right coaxial cable depends on several factors, such as the type of signal being transmitted, the required bandwidth, and the distance the signal needs to travel. It is important to consider these factors and consult with a professional to determine the most suitable coaxial cable for a specific application.