Reflecting on 47: An SMBC Comic

• Thread starter sbrothy
  • Start date
In summary, the comic is about how getting old can be a drag and how some people don't enjoy it. It also has a message about cholesterol and how to reduce it.
sbrothy said:
Now just to be clear I started this "midlife crisis" thread with a twinkle in my eye bordering on annoyed sarcasm. I really never expected (or indeed wanted) to be taken too seriously.

But perhaps it's healthy for me to face some unwelcome facts....
Getting old is not that bad until you notice something, like dropping a coin on the floor then contemplating how you are going to get it. (I messed my knees up playing football - certain movements)

That is the rubbish part of getting old.

Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
Getting old is not that bad until you notice something, like dropping a coin on the floor then contemplating how you are going to get it. (I messed my knees up playing football - certain movements)
Reminds me of a middle-aged mom of small kids that told us recently that she noticed that her 3-year-old was grunting and groaning when she got up off the floor. The mom asked her what was wrong, and why she was groaning when she got up. Was she hurt? The kid replied, "No mom, I hear you make that sound so I thought we were supposed to make it."

:wink:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes sbrothy and pinball1970
berkeman said:
Reminds me of a middle-aged mom of small kids that told us recently that she noticed that her 3-year-old was grunting and groaning when she got up off the floor. The mom asked here what was wrong, and why she was groaning when she got up. Was she hurt? The kid replied, "No mom, I hear you make that sound so I thought we were supposed to make it."

:wink:
Bending, crouching down difficult. Yes

One last one I woke up looked at my phone, 6.15am ish got up to get ready for work.
Got to the bus stop and there was no one there. Strange. The stop services 5 different buses, always at least two or three waiting. Something not right, a bit dark too?
Looked at my phone. 5.50am NOT 6.50am! The 5 looked like a six when I was checking to get up.

A few days later I did exactly the same thing, this time it hit me when I was locking the door. A bird chirped, quite dark. No point going back in again, already up and ready. It looked like a damn six I swear it!
So age? Body clock shot? Or just an eye test required!
I check VERY carefully now.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
pinball1970 said:
[...] like dropping a coin on the floor then contemplating how you are going to get it. [...]

Picking up lost coins is probably a very human trait, but really: the slightly frugal (read: the obsessive compulsive miser), who drops a coin, ought to wonder whether the coin is worth the amount of calories burnt in the very process of picking it back up.

Or indeed the pain involved in the old bones. :)

Likes pinball1970
sbrothy said:
Picking up lost coins is probably a very human trait, but really: the slightly frugal (read: the obsessive compulsive miser), who drops a coin, ought to wonder whether the coin is worth the amount of calories burnt in the very process of picking it back up.

Bones are not too bad it's all that complicated stuff that joins them together that I have trouble with!
If it's silver and higher value than a 5p I make an effort.

• Sad
Likes sbrothy
pinball1970 said:
Bones are not too bad it's all that complicated stuff that joins them together that I have trouble with!
If it's silver and higher value than a 5p I make an effort.

It's an almost idiomatic expression, no? "Them old bones and scattergun weddings"?

But yes, it's always "the stuff inbetween" isn't it? Like between my ears. ;)

Last edited:
sbrothy said:

One thing I do like about getting older. Realising you are trying to emulate the person in the family you admired, respected and loved when it really matters.
I cannot emulate the female members, they were something else but I am trying with the men, all dead now.
Pep talk to my niece before she went to University was a big one. A privilege for me.
Taking my son to a science theme center in Wales was one of the best moments in my life.
Me and his mum split but ok and I was walking round this centre thinking it was naff to be honest he would have been 8.
There was a piano with kids banging on it. Sacrilege (a sign of age) anyway I sat down and played Lady Madonna because his mum had told me he was getting into the Beatles.
The bass, left hand makes it for me and the kids went nuts.
We moved on and he looked at me and asked.
"Can you do anything dad?"
It does not get any better than that. Not for me anyway.
Twenty years ago now. Wow.

Likes sbrothy
pinball1970 said:
One thing I do like about getting older. Realising you are trying to emulate the person in the family you admired, respected and loved when it really matters.
I cannot emulate the female members, they were something else but I am trying with the men, all dead now.
Pep talk to my niece before she went to University was a big one. A privilege for me.
Taking my son to a science theme center in Wales was one of the best moments in my life.
Me and his mum split but ok and I was walking round this centre thinking it was naff to be honest he would have been 8.
There was a piano with kids banging on it. Sacrilege (a sign of age) anyway I sat down and played Lady Madonna because his mum had told me he was getting into the Beatles.
The bass, left hand makes it for me and the kids went nuts.
We moved on and he looked at me and asked.
"Can you do anything dad?"
It does not get any better than that. Not for me anyway.
Twenty years ago now. Wow.

So cool. I envy you of that.

Well that took care of my selfpity. Someone should call (theoretical) Godwins Law now. I don't expect the thread to get any better.

Likes pinball1970
Wow, I thought this was about the upcoming election in the US.( Edit: Meaning Biden was No 46, and the upcoming president would be No 47.) No wonder comments seemed frankly bizarre.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:

That is the rubbish part of getting old.
How about when you bend over for the coin, and then think, "what else can I do down here now, before I get back up again?"

Sorry for the necro-quote, @pinball1970

• Haha
  • Love
Likes hutchphd, berkeman and pinball1970
sbrothy said:
So cool. I envy you of that.

Well that took care of my selfpity. Someone should call (theoretical) Godwins Law now. I don't expect the thread to get any better.
Wow! That took you some time to come around to :)

I mean of course you, @pinball1970.

Seriously, how come you're resurrecting this year old thread all of a sudden? Not that it bothers me. I'm just puzzled.

I just kind of randomly ran into it.