How Does Wavefront Orientation Change When Light Enters a Slower Medium?

• Thread starter Peter G.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflection
In summary, the wave is changing from medium A to medium B and it travels slower in medium B than in medium A. If I draw a normal line from the boundary to the wavefront the wavefront in medium B will move away from the normal? The angle between the wavefronts and the interface in region A is 60. The refractive index and is 1.4.
Peter G.
Hi,

A wave is changing from medium A to medium B and it travels slower in medium B than in medium A. If I draw a normal line from the boundary to the wavefront the wavefront in medium B will move away from the normal? I attached to make it more clear

Furthermore, I got this question:

The angle between the wavefronts and the interface in region A is 60. The refractive index anb is 1.4.

What I did was: if 60 between wavefront and boundary, 30 degrees between ray and boundary: sin 30 / sin r = 1.4. I then got between the wavefront and the boundary 69.1 degrees but it is wrong, the mark scheme got 38 degrees. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-04 at 1.36.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-04 at 1.36.21 PM.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 754
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like they were specifying the angle with respect to the normal to the surface. (They probably mixed them up.)

Edit: On closer inspection, there's nothing wrong with the diagram or problem statement.

Last edited:
Um, sorry, I am still a bit confused in relation to how they did it. I attached the question since I didn't word it very clearly in my first post:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-04 at 2.16.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-04 at 2.16.25 PM.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 947
Here's the problem:
Peter G. said:
What I did was: if 60 between wavefront and boundary, 30 degrees between ray and boundary
What you need in Snell's law is the angle between the ray and the normal.

Oh, sorry, that was a typo I guess... In the diagram, the angle between the wavefront and the normal is 60 degrees. So I did 90-60 to get the angle between the ray and the normal. I did sin 30 / 1.4 while the mark scheme did sin 60 1.4. So the mark scheme is wrong? :confused:

Peter G. said:
In the diagram, the angle between the wavefront and the normal is 60 degrees.
No, the diagram is quite clear. The angle between the wavefront and the boundary is 60 degrees.

Ah, never mind, I got it now. Thanks! But if you wouldn't mind, could you help me with the second part of the question I linked? I got the first part but I am confused as to what the marking scheme says:

position of anyone minimum closer to centre / minima closer together;
frequency increased so wavelength decreased / correct explanation in terms of double-slit equation;

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-04 at 3.11.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-04 at 3.11.50 PM.png
    43 KB · Views: 694
Peter G. said:
Ah, never mind, I got it now.
I knew you'd figure it out. :wink:
But if you wouldn't mind, could you help me with the second part of the question I linked?
Are you sure you linked it? (See next post--you were still linking when I wrote this.)

Peter G. said:
frequency increased so wavelength decreased / correct explanation in terms of double-slit equation;
That's the trick. Do you realize that since the speed of the wave is fixed, increasing the frequency must decrease the wavelength? And how will a smaller wavelength affect the pattern? What does the double-slit equation tell you?

Sorry Doc Al, I updated the post a few seconds after I posted it. I am tired, I shouldn't be studying until now so I am making those frustrating stupid mistakes :redface: But this is the last question and then I am done!

Look above!

Ah, the distance between the first destructive interference (half a wavelength) to the center will decrease?

Peter G. said:
Ah, the distance between the first destructive interference (half a wavelength) to the center will decrease?
Yes. Smaller wavelength means that a given maximum or minimum will be closer to the center.

1. What is reflection?

Reflection is the change in direction of a wave when it bounces off of a surface. It occurs when a wave encounters an obstacle or boundary and cannot pass through it.

2. What is a wavefront?

A wavefront is an imaginary surface that represents points on a wave that are in phase, meaning they have the same displacement and velocity. It can also be thought of as the crest or trough of a wave.

3. How does reflection affect the direction of a wave?

The angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence, meaning that the angle at which a wave hits a surface is equal to the angle at which it bounces off. This is known as the law of reflection.

4. Can reflection occur with all types of waves?

Yes, reflection can occur with all types of waves, including light, sound, and water waves. The properties of the wave may affect the angle and intensity of the reflected wave, but the basic principle of reflection remains the same.

5. What is the difference between regular and diffuse reflection?

Regular reflection, also known as specular reflection, occurs when a wave hits a smooth surface and reflects in a single direction. Diffuse reflection, on the other hand, occurs when a wave hits a rough surface and reflects in multiple directions, causing the wave to scatter.