Reflector telescope, what to do?

In summary, it sounds like you are not seeing anything because you are not using the telescope correctly or the eyepiece you are using is not good. You should try using the other eyepiece and follow the instructions in the manual. You should also try using the telescope during daytime.
SofiaMo
Hey guys!

My dad bought me a reflector telescope (Levenhuk Strike 120 plus) but I am having a hard time figuring out how it works. I managed to assemble the telescope with the help of my dad but we cannot seem to see anything through it. Any suggestions what could possibly be wrong with it? Or is it smth that I'm doing wrong?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Congrats on your new scope. It's hard to tell without knowing what you tried and what you see.

If you have never used a telescope before, unless you saw something broken, my guess would be something wrong in the way you try to use it, or in the way you assembled it.

If there is a local astronomy club in your area, bringing your scope there and seeking advice might be a good idea - someone experienced should see very quickly what's wrong, while it s much harder over a forum discussion.

Can you explain more exactly what you have tried and what you see? Unless your eyes are closed, "I can't see anything" is not an accurate statement.

After assembling it we took it to the backyard and I aimed the telescope at the Moon but didn't see anything

SofiaMo said:
After assembling it we took it to the backyard and I aimed the telescope at the Moon but didn't see anything
Again: unless your eyes were closed "didn't see anything" is not an accurate statement.

Did you read the manual and follow the instructions? Any particular step confuse you?
What eyepiece did you use?
How did you aim the telescope?
What did you see when you aligned the finder scope during the day, according to the procedure in the manual?
Did you mistake the finder scope for the eyepiece?
What, exactly, did you see when you put your eye against the eyepiece? All black? All white? A bright doughnut?
Did you manipulate the focus knob?

We can help you, but only if you put more effort into this...and frankly, this doesn't speak well for the effort you put into making the telescope work.

I was trying to watch via one of the eyepieces that came with the telescope, I think it was the zoom eyepiece. So after I just aimed the telescope at the Moon and saw all black. Maybe I should have found the Moon in the finderscope? Focus knob was useless

It doesn't sound like you have followed the directions in the manual. You should do that, including the part about aligning the finder scope during the day.

It is also possible you left a cover or eyepiece lens cap on, because no matter how far out of focus it was, if you aimed it anywhere near the moon, the view should not be all black.

Also, start with the other eyepiece.

Can you upload a picture of you using it? Does it look like this?

http://cdn.levenhuk.com/images/products/large/0/telescope-levenhuk-strike-120-plus.jpg
telescope-levenhuk-strike-120-plus.jpg

russ_watters said:
It is also possible you left a cover or eyepiece lens cap on
Or aimed the telescope backwards. Sounds silly but just in case, OP when you aimed the scope the eyepiece was at the end towards the moon, right ? (As in the picture shown by berkeman)

Last edited:
Take the lens cover off.

Likes davenn
What Chronos said isn't as funny as it sounds. When I got my first telescope, I had a friend who was adamant about trying it out RIGHT NOW! So instead of reading the instruction manual, we brought it out to the front yard and tried to see Jupiter. We had a very hard time doing that and when I was finally able to examine the scope at home, I realized we had opened the stop down, but had not taken the lens cover off. True story.

Why not try it during daytime... aim at a far away building or tree. Align the finder scope to coincide with the eyepiece view.

Sorry, I just realized this is an old thread. Hopefully the OP has found the issue by now.

1. What is a reflector telescope?

A reflector telescope is a type of telescope that uses mirrors to gather and focus light instead of lenses. It typically has a large concave mirror at the bottom of the telescope that collects and reflects light to a smaller flat mirror near the top. The flat mirror then reflects the light to the eyepiece, allowing the viewer to see a magnified image.

2. How do I set up a reflector telescope?

The first step in setting up a reflector telescope is to find a stable and level surface to place the tripod on. Then, attach the telescope tube to the tripod and make sure it is securely attached. Next, insert the eyepiece into the focuser and adjust the focus knob until the image appears clear. Finally, use the finder scope to locate and focus on the desired object.

3. What can I see with a reflector telescope?

With a reflector telescope, you can see a variety of celestial objects, including planets, stars, galaxies, and nebulae. The size and quality of the telescope will determine how much detail you can see in these objects. However, with a larger reflector telescope, you can see more distant and faint objects.

4. How do I maintain a reflector telescope?

To maintain a reflector telescope, it is important to keep the mirrors clean and free of dust or debris. This can be done by gently wiping the mirrors with a soft, lint-free cloth. It is also important to store the telescope in a dry and cool place to prevent any damage. Regularly checking and adjusting the alignment of the mirrors can also help ensure the telescope is functioning properly.

5. Can I use a reflector telescope for astrophotography?

Yes, a reflector telescope can be used for astrophotography. However, it may require additional equipment such as a camera adapter and tracking mount to capture clear and detailed images. It is also important to have a stable and accurate tracking system to prevent blurring or distortion in the images. With the right equipment and techniques, a reflector telescope can produce stunning astrophotography images.