Refraction of Light: Isosceles Prism of 120°, Refractive Index 1.44

In summary, an isosceles prism with an angle of 120* and a refractive index of 1.44 allows two parallel monochromatic rays to enter and emerge from the opposite faces. The rays are parallel to each other, diverging, and make an angle of 2[sin^ -1(0.72)-30*] with each other. The equation for refractive index is Sin i/Sin r. However, when the rays fall normal to the surface of the prism, they should go undeviated but after striking the next surface, they will deviate due to the angle of incidence in the glass. The answer is (C), which can be found by drawing a perpendicular from the meeting point
harsh95
An isosceles prism of angle 120* has a refractive index 1.44.Two parallel monochromatic rays enter the prism parallel to each other as shown in figure.the ray emerge from the opposite faces-
(A)Are parallel to each other
(B)are diverging
(C) make an angle 2[sin^ -1(0.72)-30*] with each other
(D) make an angle 2 sin^ -1(0.72) with each other

The figure for the following question is attached .

The possible eqn. are Refractive index=Sin i/Sin r

It is one of the MCQ in my question paper, But I am unable to solve it.Since the rays fall normal to the surface of the prism, so they should go undeviated but what after they strikes the next prism surface ,How will they deviate?

Only thing i am able to do is that they will enter the prism without any deviation since it is perpendicular to the surface of the prism but what after that?

The answer (C) but how?
Thank you,
Harsh

Attachments

• PF.pdf
    14.6 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let ABC be the prism with AC a the base.Let the parallel rays meet the other faces at P and Q. draw a perpendicular RBD to AC. Draw normals at P and Q.
Now you can see that the angle of incidence in the glass is 30 degrees. Find the angle of refraction in the air. Simple geometry will show you that angle of refraction i equal to 30 + angle PRD. And 2*angle PR is the reacquired answer.

Related to Refraction of Light: Isosceles Prism of 120°, Refractive Index 1.44

1. What is refraction of light?

Refraction of light is the phenomenon in which light changes direction as it passes through a medium, such as air, water, or glass. This change in direction is caused by a change in the speed of light as it enters and exits the medium.

2. What is an isosceles prism of 120°?

An isosceles prism of 120° is a type of prism with two equal sides and two equal angles of 120 degrees. It is often used in optics to bend and disperse light, and is commonly found in devices such as cameras and binoculars.

3. How does refraction occur in an isosceles prism of 120°?

Refraction occurs in an isosceles prism of 120° when light enters the prism at an angle and passes through the two equal sides, which have different refractive indices. This causes the light to bend and change direction as it exits the prism.

4. What is the refractive index of an isosceles prism of 120°?

The refractive index of an isosceles prism of 120° is 1.44. This value represents the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the prism, and is a measure of how much the light is bent as it passes through the prism.

5. How is the refractive index of an isosceles prism of 120° determined?

The refractive index of an isosceles prism of 120° can be determined by measuring the angles of the prism and using Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two mediums.