Refractive Index of Optical Fibre Core and Cladding

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in finding the refractive indexes of the core and cladding of an optical fibre using provided specifications. They also mention calculating the Numerical aperture and comparing it to the listed one. The conversation also touches on the effectiveness of using the Group Index of Refraction in this process, with the speaker expressing doubt that it would be helpful.
~Sam~

Homework Statement

I need to find the refractive indexes of the core and cladding of an optical fibre by using the specs found here http://www.photonics.byu.edu/FiberOpticConnectors.parts/images/smf28.pdf Then I'm suppose to calculate the Numerical aperture and compare it with the one listed.

Homework Equations

None that I'm aware of

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried reading the specs but can't seem to find any that would help me solve the index of refraction. Does anyone have an idea?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is Effective Group Index of Refraction no help? (I know nothing about fibre optics, so am guessing.)

NascentOxygen said:
Is Effective Group Index of Refraction no help? (I know nothing about fibre optics, so am guessing.)

I do not think so. The effective index of refraction is connected to the speed of propagation of the optical signal along the cable, which depends on the refractive index of cable and cladding, but also on the geometry and structure of the cable. The effective refractive index is important for the user, the detail of the built-up is the secret of the manufacturer. :smile:

ehild

Related to Refractive Index of Optical Fibre Core and Cladding

1. What is the refractive index of an optical fibre core?

The refractive index of an optical fibre core is a measure of how much light is bent or refracted when it passes through the core. It is typically between 1.45 and 1.48, depending on the type of glass used for the core.

2. How does the refractive index of the core affect the transmission of light through the fibre?

The refractive index of the core plays a crucial role in the transmission of light through the fibre. It allows for the light to be guided along the core through total internal reflection, ensuring minimal loss of signal and efficient transmission.

3. What is the refractive index of the cladding in an optical fibre?

The refractive index of the cladding in an optical fibre is typically lower than that of the core, usually around 1.42. This lower refractive index helps to contain the light within the core, preventing it from escaping and ensuring efficient transmission.

4. How is the refractive index of an optical fibre core and cladding determined?

The refractive index of an optical fibre core and cladding is determined by measuring the speed of light in the material and comparing it to the speed of light in a vacuum. This is done using specialized equipment and techniques, such as the prism-coupling method or the interferometric method.

5. Can the refractive index of an optical fibre core and cladding be changed?

Yes, the refractive index of an optical fibre core and cladding can be changed by altering the composition and properties of the materials used. For example, doping the core with a different material can change its refractive index, and using a different type of glass for the cladding can also affect its refractive index.