Refractive index question - light beam around the world

In summary, the refractive index of the Earth's atmosphere can be expressed as n = 1.01 + α(R − r), where α is a constant, r is the radial distance from the Earth's centre, and R = 6.4 × 10^6 m is the Earth's radius. By considering a path comprising a series of total internal reflections, a value of α can be found for which a light ray emitted horizontally close to the Earth's surface would go around the Earth. This requires the top of the wavefront to move faster than the bottom, meaning that the gradient of n must be such that the phasing of the wavefront stays constant at all heights. The possibility of light curving around the Earth
jadejones
1. The refractive index of the Earth’s atmosphere is
n = 1.01 + α(R − r),
where α is a constant, r is the radial distance from the Earth’s centre and
R = 6.4 × 10^6 m is the Earth’s radius. By considering a path comprising a series of
total internal reflections or otherwise, find a value of α for which a light ray emitted
horizontally close to the Earth’s surface would go around the Earth. (The effects of
absorption may be ignored and the Earth may be taken to be a perfect sphere of radius
R.)

2. Homework Equations
n1sin(x1)=n2sin(x2)

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I really have no idea what to do as I understand the refractive index is constantly changing?
Don't know where to start, any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of a wavefront launched horizontally. Realize that the top of this wavefront will move faster than the bottom, since n is lower at higher altitudes ... yet the wavefront phasing across its front has to be the same for all heights - whar does that requirement impose on grad(n)?

rude man said:
Think of a wavefront launched horizontally. Realize that the top of this wavefront will move faster than the bottom, since n is lower at higher altitudes ... yet the wavefront phasing across its front has to be the same for all heights - whar does that requirement impose on grad(n)?

Thank you very much for your reply, are you suggesting the light curves around the world? I considered this but thought that only really happened at black holes, or have I misunderstood your response?

jadejones said:
Thank you very much for your reply, are you suggesting the light curves around the world? I considered this but thought that only really happened at black holes, or have I misunderstood your response?

I never heard of the herm 'light curves around the world' per se but that is what I had in mind. And I know next to zilch about black holes.

Can you go from there?

BTW the problem did not state that it was possible, it just asked what the n gradient had to be were it possible.

As a scientist, it is important to approach this problem with a systematic and analytical mindset. First, let's break down the given information and identify the key components:

1. The refractive index of Earth's atmosphere is dependent on two variables: α and r.
2. The equation provided gives the relationship between the refractive index and the distance from the center of the Earth, r.
3. The Earth's radius, R, is given as 6.4 × 10^6 m.
4. The question asks for a value of α that would allow a light ray emitted horizontally close to the Earth's surface to go around the Earth.

Based on these components, we can start by setting up the problem using the Snell's Law equation, n1sin(x1) = n2sin(x2), where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two mediums and x1 and x2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively.

In this case, our two mediums are the Earth's atmosphere and the vacuum of space. Therefore, we can set n1 = 1.01 + α(R − r) and n2 = 1 (since the vacuum of space has a refractive index of 1). We can also assume that the light ray is emitted horizontally, so the angle of incidence, x1, would be 90 degrees.

Now, we need to consider the path of the light ray as it travels around the Earth. Since we are assuming a series of total internal reflections, we can imagine the light ray bouncing off the Earth's surface at each point of contact. This means that the angle of incidence at each point would be equal to the angle of reflection. We can use this information to set up a series of equations:

n1sin(x1) = n2sin(x2)
n2sin(x2) = n1sin(x3)
n1sin(x3) = n2sin(x4)
n1sin(xn) = n2sin(xn+1)

Note that xn+1 would be the angle of incidence at the next point of contact, and so on. We can also use the fact that the sum of all angles in a triangle is equal to 180 degrees, so we can write:

x1 + x2 + x3 + ... + xn + xn+1 = 180

Now, we can substitute the values from our previous equations into

Related to Refractive index question - light beam around the world

1. What is refractive index?

Refractive index is a measure of how much a substance can bend or refract light. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in a particular material.

2. How does refractive index affect light?

Refractive index determines the amount and direction of light bending as it passes through a material. The higher the refractive index, the more the light will bend. This is why objects appear distorted when viewed through materials with high refractive indexes, like water or glass.

3. What factors affect refractive index?

The refractive index of a material is affected by its chemical composition and physical properties, such as density, temperature, and pressure. It can also vary depending on the wavelength of light passing through it.

4. How is refractive index measured?

Refractive index can be measured using a device called a refractometer. This instrument uses the principle of total internal reflection to determine the refractive index of a material by measuring the angle at which light is bent as it passes through the material.

5. Why is refractive index important in science?

Refractive index is an important concept in fields such as optics, physics, and chemistry. It helps scientists understand how light behaves and how it interacts with different materials. It is also used in various applications, such as designing lenses and determining the purity of substances.