Regarding Energy and Work done in a Spring Mass System

In summary, the problem involves solving a spring mass system with a displacement u=sin(ωt) applied instead of a force. The goal is to find the difference between the total work done and the energy (KE and PE) of the system, using equations such as m*a(t) + k*u(t) = F(u) and ∫[F(u)*du] with limits from t to t + Δt. The change in KE and PE can also be calculated using the formulas ΔKE = 0.5*m*(V_t+Δt - V_t)^2 and ΔPE = 0.5*k*(u_t+Δt-u_t)^2. However, the calculated work does not match
S S Gautam

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve a spring mass system (mass m and constant spring stiffness k) where instead of applied force a displacement is applied as u=sin(ωt) where ω is the frequency and t is the time. I need to find the difference of the total work done and the energy (KE and PE) of the system. The spring constant is k and the mass of the spring is m. The spring is tied at one end and at the other end mass is attached to which the displacement u is applied.

Homework Equations

The equation of motion is m*a(t) + k *u(t) = F(u) where F(u) is the unknown force which depends on the displacement applied u.

The total work done during a time interval Δt is given by ∫[F(u)*du] with limits from t to t + Δt.

The total change in the KE (=ΔKE) and PE (=ΔPE) is (I think) given by ΔKE = 0.5*m*(V_t+Δt - V_t)^2 and ΔPE as 0.5*k*(u_t+Δt-u_t)^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Now, since there is no dissipation the total work done, W, from t to t + Δt should be equal to ΔKE+ΔPE i.e. change in KE and PE from t to t + Δt . I am calculating the work done as integral from t to t + Δt of F(u)*du where F(u) = m*a + k*u where a = double derivative of u. The change in KE and PE is computed from the formula ΔKE = 0.5*m*(V_t+Δt - V_t)^2 and ΔPE as 0.5*k*(u_t+Δt-u_t)^2. However, I do not get W = ΔKE+ΔPE. I have also tried getting the ΔKE and ΔPE using the integration from t to t+Δt. Can somebody suggest what is wrong that I am doing.

Your advice, suggestions is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

S S Gautam said:
I need to find the difference of the total work done and the energy (KE and PE) of the system.
What does this mean? Difference between what and what? Please quote the problem in its original.

1. What is the relationship between energy and work done in a spring mass system?

The energy stored in a spring mass system is directly proportional to the work done on the system. This means that the more work that is done on the system, the more energy it will store.

2. How is the potential energy of a spring mass system calculated?

The potential energy of a spring mass system is calculated using the formula: PE = 1/2*k*x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

3. Can the energy in a spring mass system be converted into other forms?

Yes, the energy in a spring mass system can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy or thermal energy. This occurs when the mass is released from the spring and begins to move.

4. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions in a spring mass system?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the energy is transferred between the masses without any loss. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost to other forms, such as thermal energy or sound.

5. How does the spring constant affect the energy and work done in a spring mass system?

The spring constant directly affects the energy and work done in a spring mass system. A higher spring constant means that more work is required to stretch or compress the spring, resulting in a greater amount of potential energy stored in the system.