Regarding mechanical project which involves innovation and fabrication

In summary: Given your geographic situation, maybe more efficient water purification or air conditioning systems. (If you lived near me, I'd suggest a better furnace. :biggrin:)
saransh_IITH
hello all..:)
i just registered to this seeing fantastic discusssions regarding projects and all...

i too have a mini project in my course. its for a duration of 4 months and at the end of it, some physical fabricated model has to be made ready...i have a group of 3 members and budget is not more than 20000/-

i am in 3rd year of mechanical engg...the idea for the project should be something innovative...we have to make the design for the model, simulate it if required and then make a physical prototype for it within 4 months...

i have to present the idea in front of my professor next week itself so please give some quick suggestions and help me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
saransh_IITH said:
hello all..:)
i just registered to this seeing fantastic discusssions regarding projects n all...

i too have a mini project in my course. its for a duration of 4 months and at the end of it, some physical fabricated model has to be made ready...i have a group of 3 members and budget is not more than 20000/-

i am in 3rd year of mechanical engg...the idea for the project should be something innovative...we have to make the design for the model, simulate it if required and then make a physical prototype for it within 4 months...

i have to present the idea in front of my professor next week itself so please give some quick suggestions and help me...

Welcome to the PF.

Maybe something to improve vehicle aerodynamics and fuel economy? Like for a truck or SUV or whatever.

Maybe some attachment for a vehicle that can be used in mobile work of some sort. Like a small crane/lifting device for some outdoor work task of some sort.

Maybe an innovative new design for a "stair chair" that is used for evacuating people who cannot walk out of buildings...

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Maybe something to improve vehicle aerodynamics and fuel economy? Like for a truck or SUV or whatever.

Maybe some attachment for a vehicle that can be used in mobile work of some sort. Like a small crane/lifting device for some outdoor work task of some sort.

Maybe an innovative new design for a "stair chair" that is used for evacuating people who cannot walk out of buildings...

stair chair looks good...i ll see into it...relating to vehicle aerodynamics, i thought of buses with better ventilations (which will be very useful in hot countries like mine- India). give me suggestions upon this...
also can you elaborate on the attachment or lifting device...

Last edited by a moderator:
saransh_IITH said:
stair chair looks good...i ll see into it...relating to vehicle aerodynamics, i thought of buses with better ventilations (which will be very useful in hot countries like mine- India). give me suggestions upon this...
also can you elaborate on the attachment or lifting device...

We have a theme here at the PF, where we require students to do the majority of the work. What are YOUR ideas for your project?

berkeman said:
We have a theme here at the PF, where we require students to do the majority of the work. What are YOUR ideas for your project?
i have thought of a project- to make underwater vertical axis turbines which has a good efficiency in generating power...i want more suggestions cause we have to propose 2-3 ideas to our prof and we ll do that one whch s d mst feasible in terms of money n tools etc...

Given your geographic situation, maybe more efficient water purification or air conditioning systems. (If you lived near me, I'd suggest a better furnace. :biggrin:)

1. What is the purpose of the mechanical project?

The purpose of the mechanical project is to create a new and innovative machine or device that solves a problem or improves upon an existing technology. It involves the design, fabrication, and testing of a physical prototype.

2. How is innovation incorporated into the project?

Innovation is incorporated into the project by identifying a specific problem or need and coming up with a unique solution that has not been done before. This could involve using new materials, techniques, or concepts to improve upon existing designs or create something entirely new.

3. What is the role of fabrication in the project?

Fabrication is an essential part of the mechanical project as it involves turning the design into a physical prototype. This can include cutting, welding, drilling, and assembling various parts to create the final product. The fabrication process requires attention to detail and precision to ensure the prototype functions as intended.

4. How is the success of the project measured?

The success of the project can be measured in various ways, including the functionality and efficiency of the prototype, any patents or awards received, and feedback from potential users or experts in the field. The project's success is also determined by its ability to solve the identified problem or need and its potential for real-world applications.

5. What are some challenges typically faced during the project?

Some common challenges faced during the mechanical project include budget constraints, technical difficulties, and time constraints. Other challenges may include obtaining necessary materials or resources, ensuring safety and compliance with regulations, and overcoming any unforeseen obstacles during the fabrication and testing process. It is essential to have a well-planned and flexible approach to address these challenges effectively.