Regarding ssd + ssd enclosures

• Thread starter MidgetDwarf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ssd
In summary, an external SSD enclosure that can hold at least 2TB, and is USB-C or USB 3.0 compatible, is needed to store games for a child using an Alienware M17 R5 laptop.
MidgetDwarf
Hi, was wondering if anyone here at physicsforumns was familiar with ssd enclosures?

Long story short, I have an Alienware M17 r5, use it for work . I have a son that plays games on it, but I do not want him to clutter my ssd with games. He filled up 2tb of games alone!!!!

Anyhow, I was wondering if there is an ssd + ssd enclosure that will allow him to run games like Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Red Dead Redemption 2, Grand Theft Auto 4, etc, without experiencing lag or any other issues gamers hate.

ports on computer:
USB 4.0 40 Gbps (Type-C) port with DisplayPort
USB 3.2 Gen 2 (Type-C) 10Gbps
USB 3.2 Gen 1 port 5GbpsPlease do not laugh at my choice of laptop. It was cheaper buying this computer, then a laptop for me and a ps5 for him.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm not totally clear on what you are asking for. Generally: yes, there are many varieties of SSDs available externally, from SSD cards, to thumb drives to things that look sorta like hard drives, to actual hard drive form factor devices. These days the form factor is entirely aesthetic as the actual storage is something like the size of your pinkie fingernail.

How much capacity do you want? 4TB enough?

Thanks for the quick response. I'll try to be a bit more clear, I am a novice when it comes to computers (had the same MacBook for 13 years).

What I am looking for is M.2 SSDs enclosure that holds 2280 NVMe SSD drives . 1 to 2 tb should suffice. That is fast enough for playing current games on it (if it is possible with these devices). I am unfamiliar with read/write speeds of these devices, and what the average game at the minimum requires

I use Icy Box that can accommodate any NVMe of up to 2 TB and size up to 80 mm. They come with both USB-C and USB 3.0 cords. They are pretty fast, I use them to run virtual machines on Macs. Recently, I installed X-Plane with good performance.

Last edited:
Nothing will be as (potentially) fast as an internal drive. According to the Dell website some models of m17 R5 have 2 internal M.2 slots, have you checked yours?

M.2 ("m dot 2") is a specification for internal hardware, an external drive must use USB or a similar interface. External drives that use M.2 hardware internally and convert to USB do exist, but if you are designing an external drive it is easier, faster and cheaper to drive the NVMe chip directly. The drive @russ_watters linked is about as good as you are going to get and should be fine for your purpose.

Likes FactChecker and russ_watters
M.2 can't be beat for speed. But If you are going to have the same computer used for both your child's games and your business, IMO it would be much safer to have your business work on a removable external drive and remove it when your child is using the computer. Most business work does not need the same speed that video games do, so you might want a fast internal drive on M.2 for the games and a separate external SSD for your work.
If you use that arrangement, make sure that your external drive is adequately backed up.

PS. There is no need to apologize for your laptop choice. That is a smoking-hot computer with very fast USB ports. (Smoking-hot in a good way, not temperature)

Likes russ_watters

1. What is an SSD?

An SSD (Solid State Drive) is a type of storage device that uses flash memory to store data. It is faster and more durable than traditional hard drives, making it a popular choice for computer users.

2. What is an SSD enclosure?

An SSD enclosure is a case or housing that allows you to connect an SSD to your computer via USB or other interfaces. It provides protection and allows you to use your SSD as an external storage device.

3. Why should I use an SSD and SSD enclosure?

Using an SSD can greatly improve the speed and performance of your computer, as it has faster read and write speeds compared to traditional hard drives. An SSD enclosure allows you to easily connect and use your SSD as an external drive, providing additional storage space and convenience.

4. Are all SSD enclosures compatible with any SSD?

No, not all SSD enclosures are compatible with any SSD. It is important to check the specifications of both the enclosure and the SSD to ensure compatibility. Some enclosures may only support certain sizes or types of SSDs.

5. How do I install an SSD into an SSD enclosure?

The installation process may vary depending on the specific enclosure you have. Generally, you will need to open the enclosure, insert the SSD into the designated slot, and secure it in place. Then, you can connect the enclosure to your computer via USB or other interface to start using your SSD.

Back