Regarding the relationship of mass, velocity, and time

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of singularities and their occurrence in nature. It also touches on the relationship between black holes and time, as well as the effect of mass and velocity on time. The speaker questions whether lack of heat can also affect time and ponders the implications of this in the context of quantum physics. However, the conversation is based on incorrect assumptions and does not accurately reflect the current understanding of black holes and their behavior.
mountainman
Perhaps someone can clarify something for me that's been bugging me for a while. Assuming that singularities are not a singular event but occur naturally, we believe the objects for be of infinite density and infinite heat. On the other hand, in the case of black holes, it's logical to assume that once all energy has been released from material crossing the horizon, that these objects would be infinitely cold (little or no molecular motion). Enter time into this thought process and it seems to become clear, at least to some degree, that massive objects relatively increase the passage of time. The very idea of a singularity becomes perplexing then as the object is massively hot (infinitely hot and dense) and a black hole, while still very massive remains at or near absolute zero. If an object were to be placed near a black hole, time would speed up while time near a singularity would slow down? So I guess my question is that since we know mass affects time, velocity affects time, does lack of heat affect time? And does that go in both directions? It's not easy to contemplate because we try to think as an observer regarding something of quantum size where all normal physics breaks down. It remains something I try to calculate as near massive objects, time speeds up, so does the sparse nature of matter in the universe speed time up?

Space news on Phys.org
mountainman said:
Assuming that singularities are not a singular event but occur naturally

Singularities in physical models are generally considered by physicists to be an indication that the model predicting them breaks down in that regime, not an indication that "infinite density and infinite heat" ever actually happen.

mountainman said:
in the case of black holes, it's logical to assume that once all energy has been released from material crossing the horizon, that these objects would be infinitely cold (little or no molecular motion)

No, this is not a good assumption. Objects falling into a black hole do not change temperature; locally, no observation of the object will indicate that it is falling into a black hole.

mountainman said:
Enter time into this thought process and it seems to become clear, at least to some degree, that massive objects relatively increase the passage of time.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

The rest of your post is basically reasoning from incorrect starting assumptions to incorrect conclusions. I suggest taking some time to become familiar with how GR actually models black holes. Chapter 7 of Carroll's online lecture notes gives a good discussion. (The notes in their entirety are a good introduction to GR in general.)

1. What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for calculating momentum is mass multiplied by velocity (p=mv).

2. How does an object's mass affect its momentum?

An object's mass directly affects its momentum. The greater the mass, the greater the momentum will be.

3. How does an object's velocity affect its momentum?

An object's velocity also directly affects its momentum. The greater the velocity, the greater the momentum will be.

4. What is the relationship between mass and velocity in relation to momentum?

The relationship between mass and velocity in relation to momentum is a direct proportion. This means that as one value increases, the other will also increase.

5. How does time affect an object's momentum?

Time does not directly affect an object's momentum. However, it can indirectly affect it by allowing an object to continue moving at a certain velocity for a longer period of time, thus increasing its momentum.