Regulate DC Voltage to Charge 12V Battery

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a variable DC voltage source to continuously charge a 12 volt battery until it is full. The voltage source has a range of 9 to 18 volts and a current of 1 to 3 amps. The circuit should shut off when the battery is full and the voltage source should not exceed 12 volts. It is suggested to use a battery charger IC from manufacturers such as TI, National, LTC, or Maxim, or to set the voltage to 13.6 volts and current limit to 3 amps for the supply to deliver 3 amps until the battery reaches 13.6 volts. It is also noted that if the battery is lead-acid, the voltage when it is fully
Rev_1911
Ok, so I have a variable DC voltage source that changes as due to outside factors. The voltage ranges between 9 and 18 volts with a current between 1 and 3 amps. I want the voltage source to charge a 12 volt battery continuously until it is full. Whent he battery is full, the circuit should shut off delivering the voltage from the voltage source to ground. The input to the battery can be below 12 volts, however, I don't want the voltage to ever reach a value larger than that. Can someone please help me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should be able to do that with just the power supply.

Set the current limit to 3 amps and the voltage to 13.6 volts.

The supply will then deliver 3 amps to the battery until it charges to 13.6 volts when it will stop charging.

Assuming the battery is lead-acid, the voltage when it is fully charged will be 13.6 volts.

VK6KRO is right. But to limit at to 12 volts as you originally intended the battery will never be charged.

1. How do I regulate DC voltage to charge a 12V battery?

To regulate DC voltage to charge a 12V battery, you will need a DC-DC converter or a voltage regulator. These devices will convert the incoming DC voltage to the required level to charge the battery. Make sure to check the specifications of the converter or regulator to ensure it is compatible with your battery.

2. What is the ideal voltage level to charge a 12V battery?

The ideal voltage level to charge a 12V battery is around 13.8-14.4 volts. This ensures that the battery is being charged efficiently without risking overcharging, which can damage the battery.

3. Can I use a regular power supply to charge a 12V battery?

No, you cannot use a regular power supply to charge a 12V battery. A regular power supply provides a constant voltage, while a battery requires a controlled and regulated voltage to charge properly. Using a power supply can result in overcharging and damaging the battery.

4. How long does it take to charge a 12V battery?

The charging time for a 12V battery can vary depending on the battery's capacity and the charging current. On average, it can take around 4-6 hours to fully charge a 12V battery.

5. Can I use a solar panel to regulate DC voltage and charge a 12V battery?

Yes, you can use a solar panel to regulate DC voltage and charge a 12V battery. However, you will need to use a charge controller to ensure the voltage is regulated properly. The charge controller will also prevent overcharging, which can damage the battery.