How Fast is the Man Walking as His Shadow Changes?

In summary, the problem involves a man walking away from a streetlight and the rate at which his shadow (length s) changes. Using similar triangles, the shadow length is found to be a function of the distance (x) the man is from the pole. By differentiating this equation and substituting in the given values, the rate at which the man is walking away from the light is found to be approximately 3.38 feet per second.
erix335

Homework Statement

A man 6 feet tall walks away from a streetlight that is 18 feet tall. If the length of his shadow is changing at a rate of 3 feet per second when he is 25 feet away from the base of the light, how fast is he walking away from the light at this moment?

Homework Equations

Trying to figure it out.

The Attempt at a Solution

Diagram drawn to no avail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi erix335

consider the triangle made by the shadow tip and the street light

and then the triangle made by the shadow tip and the man

you should be able to see they are similar triangles

use this to try and write the length of the shadow, s, as a function of the distance, d, the man is from the pole s(d)=?.

once you have that you differentiate to find the rate of change

2s(ds/dt)= (25-3t)^2 + ?(18-6t)^2
2(30.8 hyp of triangle) = 2(25-3t)3+2*18-6t)6
61.4=(50-6t)3+(36-12t)6
=366-90t
-304.6/-90=t
t=304.6/90 or 3.38...which seems to be a right answer but the second part of my equation had no real thought behind it.

I seem to be stuck in the initial equation, and the 3.38 is the value of t, which means I would have to put it under 25, giving me a bit of a ridiculous answer.

erix335 said:
2s(ds/dt)= (25-3t)^2 + ?(18-6t)^2
2(30.8 hyp of triangle) = 2(25-3t)3+2*18-6t)6
61.4=(50-6t)3+(36-12t)6
=366-90t
-304.6/-90=t
t=304.6/90 or 3.38...which seems to be a right answer but the second part of my equation had no real thought behind it.

I seem to be stuck in the initial equation, and the 3.38 is the value of t, which means I would have to put it under 25, giving me a bit of a ridiculous answer.

sorry i can't understand what you have done, can you explain it?

took the derivative of the speed and hypotenuse equation...or so I thought, then filled in for T and put it under the distance (25)

what was the hypotenuse equation?

i would start by finding s(x), as a function of the distance the man is from the pole
s = shadow length
x = distance of man from pole (sorry, had to change d=x for noatation in the derivative, otherwise it was too hard to read)

then using the chain rule
[tex] \frac{ds}{dt}= \frac{ds}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

Related to How Fast is the Man Walking as His Shadow Changes?

1. What is a related rate?

A related rate is a mathematical concept in which the rate of change of one variable is related to the rate of change of another variable. In other words, it is the study of how the rates of change of different quantities are related to each other.

2. How are related rates used in real life?

Related rates are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving changing quantities. For example, they can be used to calculate the rate at which a balloon is inflating or the rate at which the water level in a tank is changing.

3. What is the process for solving a related rates problem?

The first step in solving a related rates problem is to identify the known and unknown variables and the given rates of change. Then, use appropriate equations to relate the variables and their rates of change. Finally, take the derivative with respect to time and plug in the known values to solve for the unknown rate of change.

4. What is the relationship between related rates and derivatives?

Related rates are essentially applications of derivatives. Derivatives measure the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable, while related rates involve finding the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another quantity.

5. What are some common mistakes made when solving related rates problems?

Some common mistakes made when solving related rates problems include not correctly identifying the known and unknown variables, not using the chain rule when taking derivatives, and not accurately setting up the equations to relate the variables and their rates of change. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.