Related rates of a ladder sliding

In summary, we are given a problem where a 5m ladder is sliding down a wall with the height of the ladder's top (h) and the distance from the wall to the ladder's bottom (x) changing with respect to time (t). We are given that h(0) = 4 at t = 0 seconds and dh/dt = 1.2m/s. Using the equation x^2 + h^2 = 5^2, we can solve for x(2) and dx/dt at t=2 seconds. We find that h(2) = 1.6m and x(2) = 4.7377m. By plugging these values into the equation
Arnoldjavs3

Homework Statement

A 5 m ladder is sliding down the wall, and h is the height of the ladder's top at time t, and x is the distance from the wall to the ladder's bottom at time t.
Given that h(0) = 4 at t = 0 seconds and dh/dt = 1.2m/s, and the ladder is 5m long find x(2) and dx/dt at t=2 seconds

Homework Equations

x^2 + h^2 = 5^2
25 - 16 = x^2
x = 3

The Attempt at a Solution

$$2x*\frac{dx}{dt} + 2h*\frac{dh}{dt} = 0$$
since we know that dh/dt = 1.2 and x = 3:
$$2(3)*\frac{dx}{dt} + 2(4)*(1.2)= 0$$
$$\frac{-9.6}{6} = \frac{dx}{dt}$$
$$\frac{dx}{dt} = -1.6$$

I believe dx/dt is -1.6 at t = 0 seconds, but how do I use this information to find x(2) and dx/dt at 2 seconds? Am I wrong in approaching this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Arnoldjavs3 said:

Homework Statement

A 5 m ladder is sliding down the wall, and h is the height of the ladder's top at time t, and x is the distance from the wall to the ladder's bottom at time t.
Given that h(0) = 4 at t = 0 seconds and dh/dt = 1.2m/s, and the ladder is 5m long find x(2) and dx/dt at t=2 seconds

Homework Equations

x^2 + h^2 = 5^2
25 - 16 = x^2
x = 3

The Attempt at a Solution

$$2x*\frac{dx}{dt} + 2h*\frac{dh}{dt} = 0$$
since we know that dh/dt = 1.2 and x = 3:
$$2(3)*\frac{dx}{dt} + 2(4)*(1.2)= 0$$
$$\frac{-9.6}{6} = \frac{dx}{dt}$$
$$\frac{dx}{dt} = -1.6$$

I believe dx/dt is -1.6 at t = 0 seconds, but how do I use this information to find x(2) and dx/dt at 2 seconds? Am I wrong in approaching this problem?
In your problem statement, dh/dt appears to be constant at 1.2 m/s (really, this is -1.2 m/s). You're given that h(0) = 4, so what will h be at t = 2 sec.? From that you can find x(2).

Likes wormbread
Mark44 said:
In your problem statement, dh/dt appears to be constant at 1.2 m/s (really, this is -1.2 m/s). You're given that h(0) = 4, so what will h be at t = 2 sec.? From that you can find x(2).

h(2) = 1.6m and x(2) = 4.73?

Is my initial approach wrong though? And why is it that I got $$\frac{dx}{dt} = -1.6$$ which is the same coefficient of h(2)? I get that from a logical perspective this problem is very easy but I still want to do the math behind it.

Arnoldjavs3 said:
h(2) = 1.6m and x(2) = 4.73?
I don't get these values. dh/dt = -1.2 m/sec, and h(0) = 4. How did you get h(2) = 1.6 m?
Arnoldjavs3 said:
Is my initial approach wrong though? And why is it that I got $$\frac{dx}{dt} = -1.6$$ which is the same coefficient of h(2)? I get that from a logical perspective this problem is very easy but I still want to do the math behind it.

Last edited:
Realized my mistakes were because I wasnt' careful enough
Okay so h(2) = 1.6m as 4-2(1.2) = 1.6
then we can use that to find x(2):
√(25-1.6^2) = 4.7377

And then i input these values in to:

$$2(4.73)*\frac{dx}{dt}=2(1.6)(1.2)$$
$$\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{3.84}{2(4.737)}$$

and i get 0.405 for dx/dt.

Edit: changed this post as the previous was wrong

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of related rates in the context of a ladder sliding?

The concept of related rates refers to the relationship between two or more changing quantities, where the rate of change of one quantity affects the rate of change of the other quantity. In the context of a ladder sliding, the height and distance of the ladder are related and change simultaneously.

2. How do you set up a related rates problem involving a ladder sliding?

To set up a related rates problem involving a ladder sliding, you need to identify the variables involved and determine how they are related. This can be done by drawing a diagram and using the Pythagorean theorem to establish the relationship between the height and distance of the ladder. Then, you can use the chain rule to express the rate of change of one variable in terms of the rate of change of the other.

3. What are some real-life applications of related rates of a ladder sliding?

Related rates of a ladder sliding have various real-life applications, such as calculating the rate at which the base of a ladder is moving away from a wall as the ladder slides down, determining the rate at which a ladder is leaning against a building, or calculating the rate at which the angle between the ladder and the ground is changing.

4. How do you solve related rates problems involving a ladder sliding?

To solve related rates problems involving a ladder sliding, you first need to set up the problem by identifying the variables and their relationship. Then, you can use the chain rule to express the rate of change of one variable in terms of the rate of change of the other. Finally, you can substitute the given values and solve for the unknown rate of change using algebra and/or calculus.

5. What are some tips for solving related rates problems involving a ladder sliding?

Some tips for solving related rates problems involving a ladder sliding include drawing a clear and accurate diagram, labeling all variables and their rates of change, using the Pythagorean theorem to establish the relationship between the variables, and carefully applying the chain rule. It is also important to pay attention to units and use proper notation when setting up and solving the problem.