Related time rate,ship problem

• MHB
  • Thread starter wolfsprint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the ship started its journey from Location A with a velocity of 18km/h to the north. After 2 hours, the ship sailed in a direction 30 degrees north of east. The problem is a related rates problem, and the first step is to draw a triangle and label it with the given information. The next step is to use the equations related to triangles to solve for the unknown quantity, which in this case is the rate of change in the distance between Location A and the position of the ship after 4 hours from the start. The final solution is found to be 12√26.
wolfsprint
Ship started its journey from a Location A with velocity 18km/h to the north . after 2 hours the ship sailed in the direction 30 north of east find the rate of change in the distance between the location A and the position of the ship after 4 hours from the start.

i have no idea how to solve this problem and would really like how to?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Related time rate , ship problem

wolfsprint said:
Ship started its journey from a Location A with velocity 18km/h to the north . after 2 hours the ship sailed in the direction 30 north of east find the rate of change in the distance between the location A and the position of the ship after 4 hours from the start.

i have no idea how to solve this problem and would really like how to?

You have a related rates problem. Have you drawn the triangle the problem forms? Have you labeled the triangle with what you know?

If not, that is step one. Then what are the equations related to a triangle we could use?

I understand i have to draw the x-axis and the y-axis and plot and join the dots to form a triangle but the problem is I am having trouble understanding the positions of the ships

wolfsprint said:
I understand i have to draw the x-axis and the y-axis and plot and join the dots to form a triangle but the problem is I am having trouble understanding the positions of the ships

The 30 degrees north of east part?

If we let the east-west axis be our x-axis, then 30 degrees north of east is $\frac{\pi}{6}$.

so A is the origin and when the ship sails north i put a dot a bit further up and for the 30 north of east i draw an imaginary x-axis on the dot on the north direction and put a point in the 30 degrees direction? what's next?

wolfsprint said:
so A is the origin and when the ship sails north i put a dot a bit further up and for the 30 north of east i draw an imaginary x-axis on the dot on the north direction and put a point in the 30 degrees direction? what's next?

That is what I would do, let A be the origin. Then the ship sailed 2 hours at 18km/h so the from A to B we have 36km.
Then the ship sailed at 30 degrees from point b for 2 hours to point C. What you want to find is the rate of change of the AC

ok so this is how i solved the problem :
After t hours i presumed the following
AB = 36+2t
BC = 36+2t
we need to find AC so
AC^2 = (36+2t)^2 + (36+2t)^2
AC = 12(Root)26
is this correct?

Thanks for understanding , and i would like to know if my method of solving is correct please?

wolfsprint said:
Thanks for understanding , and i would like to know if my method of solving is correct please?

Look at the this example page 192

Related to Related time rate,ship problem

1. What is the related time rate, ship problem?

The related time rate, ship problem is a mathematical problem in which a ship is traveling against a current or with a current. The problem involves calculating the time it takes for the ship to travel a certain distance and the speed of the ship relative to the speed of the current.

2. How do you solve the related time rate, ship problem?

To solve the related time rate, ship problem, you first need to identify the variables involved, such as the speed of the ship, the speed of the current, and the distance traveled. Then, you can use the formula d=rt, where d is the distance, r is the rate (or speed), and t is the time. For example, if the ship is traveling against a current, you would subtract the speed of the current from the speed of the ship to get the relative speed, and then use this value in the formula.

3. What are the units used in the related time rate, ship problem?

The units used in the related time rate, ship problem are typically miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h) for speed, and miles (mi) or kilometers (km) for distance. However, you can also use other units as long as they are consistent throughout the problem.

4. Can the related time rate, ship problem be applied to other scenarios?

Yes, the related time rate, ship problem can be applied to other scenarios where an object is moving against or with a current or wind. For example, it can be used to calculate the time it takes for a plane to travel a certain distance with or against the wind, or for a car to travel a certain distance with or against the flow of traffic.

5. Are there any tips for solving the related time rate, ship problem?

One tip for solving the related time rate, ship problem is to carefully read the problem and make sure you understand what is being asked. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram or write out the given information to visualize the problem. Additionally, double-check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units to avoid errors.