How do vectors play a role in ship navigation?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary: The vector that represents the velocity of the ship in relation to the sea floor" is $\overrightarrow{AB}$.Why is $\overrightarrow{AB}$ the vector that represents the velocity of the ship in relation to the sea floor?It is because $\overrightarrow{AB}$ is the vector that represents the velocity of the ship in relation to the sea floor one hour later after the ship has followed the current.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

We suppose that a ship, that is at the position $(1, 0)$ of a nautical map (with the North at the positive direction $y$) and it "sees" a rock at the position $(2, 4)$, is directed to North and is traveling $4$ knots in the relation to the water.
There is a current of 1 knot that is directed to the east side.
The units on the map are nautical miles, $1$ knot=$1$ nautical mile per hour.

a) If there weren't the current, which vector $\overrightarrow{u}$ would represent the velocity of the ship in relation to the see floor?

b) If the ship was just following the current, which vector $\overrightarrow{v}$ would represent the velocity in relation to the see floor?

c) Which vector $\overrightarrow{w}$ represents the total velocity of the ship?

d) Where will the ship be after $1$ hour?

e) Does the captain have to change direction?

f) What would happen if the rock was an iceberg?
Could you give me some hints how I could do this exercise?? (Wondering)

What does it mean "...which vector would represent the velocity of the ship in relation to the see floor?" ?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
a) If there weren't the current, which vector $\overrightarrow{u}$ would represent the velocity of the ship in relation to the see floor?

b) If the ship was just following the current, which vector $\overrightarrow{v}$ would represent the velocity in relation to the see floor?
Surely you should be able to sea it. (Smile)

mathmari said:
c) Which vector $\overrightarrow{w}$ represents the total velocity of the ship?
$w=u+v$.

mathmari said:
d) Where will the ship be after $1$ hour?
$(1,0)+w$.

mathmari said:
f) What would happen if the rock was an iceberg?
Then it would be carried by the current.

mathmari said:
What does it mean "...which vector would represent the velocity of the ship in relation to the see floor?" ?
Let $A$ be the projection of the ship onto the sea floor. Let $B$ the projection of the ship onto the sea floor one hour later. Then "the vector that represents the velocity of the ship in relation to the sea floor" is $\overrightarrow{AB}$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Surely you should be able to sea it. (Smile)

(Blush)
Evgeny.Makarov said:
$w=u+v$.

$(1,0)+w$.

Then it would be carried by the current.

Could you explain to me why these are the answers? I haven't understood it.
Evgeny.Makarov said:
Let $A$ be the projection of the ship onto the sea floor. Let $B$ the projection of the ship onto the sea floor one hour later. Then "the vector that represents the velocity of the ship in relation to the sea floor" is $\overrightarrow{AB}$.

Why do we have to find the projection of the ship onto the sea floor one hour later?

mathmari said:
Why do we have to find the projection of the ship onto the sea floor one hour later?
My guess is that you are trying to solve problems about velocity without understanding what velocity is. Please note that constant and average velocities (as opposed to instantaneous velocity, which relies on the concept of a derivative) are middle or high school topics.

In my book there is the following:

If a body moves with uniform velocity on a line, then the velocity vector is a displacement vector from its position at a moment till the position $1$ unit time later. Does uniform velocity means constant velocity?

a) The ship is traveling to North 4 knots and there is no current. That means that we have the following:

View attachment 4037

So $\overrightarrow{u}=(1, 4)$.

Is it correct?

b) The ship follows the current.

In my book at an other example there is the following:

View attachment 4033

Could you explain to me why it is like that?

c) Why is the total velocity of the ship $\overrightarrow{w}=\overrightarrow{u}+\overrightarrow{v}$ ?

d) The position of the ship in $1$ hour is "$\text{ Initial position + Total velocity} =(1, 0)+\overrightarrow{w}$, right?

e) After $1$ hour the ship will be at the position $(4, 8)$ which is the same line as the position of the rock $(2, 4)$. So, the captain has to change direction.

f) "Then it would be carried by the current."

Could you explain it further to me?

Attachments

• displacement.png
    displacement.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 45
  • initial-last_position.png
    initial-last_position.png
    3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a ship vector problem?

A ship vector problem is a mathematical problem that involves determining the movement and direction of a ship, given its initial position and constant speed, as well as any external forces acting on it.

2. How are ship vectors used in navigation?

Ship vectors are used in navigation to plot the course of a ship and determine its position at any given time. They take into account factors such as wind, current, and other external forces in order to accurately calculate the ship's movement.

3. What types of ship vectors are there?

There are two types of ship vectors: heading vectors and drift vectors. Heading vectors represent the direction and speed of a ship's movement, while drift vectors represent the effects of external forces on the ship's movement, such as wind or current.

4. How do you solve a ship vector problem?

To solve a ship vector problem, you must first break down the problem into its individual components, such as the ship's initial position and speed, as well as any external forces acting on it. Then, you can use mathematical equations and formulas, such as vector addition and trigonometry, to calculate the ship's movement and direction over time.

5. What are some real-world applications of ship vectors?

Ship vectors have many practical applications in the real world, including navigation and shipping, marine transportation, and oceanography. They are also used in the design and operation of boats and other watercraft.