Time Dilation Paradoxes Near C: Exploring the Twin Paradox of Special Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the twin paradox in special relativity, specifically when dealing with multiple vectors. The thought experiment involves two twins traveling in opposite directions and slingshotting around two black holes before returning to their starting point. As they accelerate away, observers in the Milky Way will see the travelers age slower due to time dilation. The question is how the two travelers' clocks will compare during the outbound journey, inbound journey, and at the rendezvous location. It is assumed that their journeys are perfectly symmetric. The idea of massless particles and their experience is also briefly mentioned. The concept of simultaneity is important in the theory, and it is relative in special relativity. In general relativity, the concept of inertial frames
sennetor
TL;DR Summary
Lorentz Transforms and Paradoxes driving me insane
timedilation.jpg

I'm struggling to wrap my head around the twin paradox in special relativity especially when dealing with multiple vectors.
In my thought experiment say I have a set of twins. Both set out in opposite directions and intend to sling shot around two different black holes(luckily equidistant from the milky way) and rendezvous back where they started.

As they accelerate away towards 99.999%C(in perfectly opposite directions) observers in the Milkyway will notice that the occupants on the ship will almost freeze in time and will come back having aged slower than the Milkwayers.

My question is this...how will the two ship's clocks compare for
  1. The outbound journey?
  2. The Inbound Journey?
  3. at the rendezvous location?
I'm also assuming their journey's are a perfect symmetry of each other(?)
If they end up having a synchronized clock at the end does this also reflect the experience of massless particles as they bound around the entire universe(like photons?) e.g. an emitted photon could in theory bounce off an event horizon and instantly find itself energizing the same electron orbit that emitted it? Surely this would also make us holograms!

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
sennetor said:
My question is this...how will the two ship's clocks compare
You need to look up the relativity of simultaneity, which is a really important part of the theory[1] and gets little air time. In short, what "during" each leg of the trip means is different for the different legs of the journey, and a naive time dilation analysis doesn't account for the bits of the other twins' experiences that aren't "during" any part of the trip (at least, not according to that naive analysis).
sennetor said:
If they end up having a synchronized clock at the end does this also reflect the experience of massless particles
Massless particles travel along null worldlines and time isn't defined for them, so you can't describe their experience.[1] In deference to Orodruin, I will say "a really important part of the theory if you start with length contraction and time dilation instead of Minkowski geometry".

sennetor said:
I'm also assuming their journey's are a perfect symmetry of each other(?)
If that is the case (not sure why you have question marks after it, you are specifying the scenario and if you say the two journeys are symmetric, then they are), then this...

sennetor said:
If they end up having a synchronized clock at the end
...will also be true.

sennetor said:
an emitted photon could in theory bounce off an event horizon and instantly find itself energizing the same electron orbit that emitted it?
I have no idea where you're getting this from, but it's (a) unfounded and erroneous speculation, and (b) irrelevant to the scenario you describe in the OP of this thread. I would advise dropping this line of thought entirely.

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
sennetor said:
sling shot around two different black holes
Note that this is not "bouncing off" the event horizons of the holes.

Likes vanhees71
Ibix said:
1] In deference to Orodruin, I will say "a really important part of the theory if you start with length contraction and time dilation instead of Minkowski geometry".
I would just refer to my signature... :)

Edit: Additionally, what I would consider questionable is the introduction of the simultaneity concept. However, once you do introduce it, that it is relative is extremely important.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and Ibix
PeterDonis said:
If that is the case (not sure why you have question marks after it, you are specifying the scenario and if you say the two journeys are symmetric, then they are), then this......will also be true.I have no idea where you're getting this from, but it's (a) unfounded and erroneous speculation, and (b) irrelevant to the scenario you describe in the OP of this thread. I would advise dropping this line of thought entirely.
Thanks Peter, You are right that last statement was erroneous and I was loosely trying to reconcile special relativity with quantum physics. If the two travellers have perfectly symmetrical journeys then in theory they could travel billions of light years apart but on the rendezvous still be in perfect sync with each other?

sennetor said:
If the two travellers have perfectly symmetrical journeys then in theory they could travel billions of light years apart but on the rendezvous still be in perfect sync with each other?
When they return, yes, they will be in sync. But during the journey most notions of simultaneity (pretty much all except the stay-at-home's notion, in fact) will say they are out of sync.

sennetor said:
If the two travellers have perfectly symmetrical journeys then in theory they could travel billions of light years apart but on the rendezvous still be in perfect sync with each other?
If their journeys are symmetric, which one would you expect to younger at the end?

Likes Ibix
Orodruin said:
I would just refer to my signature... :)

Edit: Additionally, what I would consider questionable is the introduction of the simultaneity concept. However, once you do introduce it, that it is relative is extremely important.
I think you cannot avoid to introduce the simultaneity effect. The important point in all theorizing is to make sure that you describe what's measured in a given measurement procedure. That's true for classical physics as it is (even more so) in quantum physics. E.g., the definition of the "length of an extended object" is necessarily relying on the definition that an observer, having established a frame of reference, reads off the spatial coordinates of the endpoints of the object simultaneously, where the definition of simultaneity is due to a clock-synchronization procedure, which is part of the definition of a reference frame.

In special relativity there are global inertial frames, and the standard syncrhonization convention is Einstein's of 1905 using the two-way speed of light and the assumption of isotropy. Only with this synchronization convention establishing the standard inertial reference frames the "kinematic paradoxes" like time dilation, length contraction, twin paradox, etc. follow and at the same time are resolved. Indeed they only appear as paradox, because we are used to the "Newtonian everyday experience" that simultaneity/time is absolute, but that's not the case in relativity (and obviously in nature, because relativistic spacetime models are the far better description than the Newtonian spacetime model).

In general relativity the concept of inertial frames is, by construction, local and thus all that is left to be clearly definable are strictly local observations and synchronization over larger distances is completely arbitrary, i.e., there is no in any way preferred "standard procedure" anymore.

Likes sysprog and PeroK

1. What is the Twin Paradox in Special Relativity?

The Twin Paradox is a thought experiment in Special Relativity that explores the concept of time dilation. It involves two twins, one of whom stays on Earth while the other travels at high speeds near the speed of light. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth, due to time dilation.

2. How does time dilation occur near the speed of light?

According to Special Relativity, time dilation occurs when an object is moving at speeds close to the speed of light. This is because the faster an object moves, the slower time passes for it. This is due to the fact that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in time dilation paradoxes?

The speed of light is significant because it is the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and time slows down for it. This is what leads to the time dilation effect in the Twin Paradox and other time dilation paradoxes.

4. Can time dilation be observed in real life?

Yes, time dilation has been observed in various experiments and has been verified through scientific evidence. For example, atomic clocks on airplanes have been found to run slightly slower than those on the ground, due to the high speeds at which the airplanes are traveling.

5. Are there any other time dilation paradoxes besides the Twin Paradox?

Yes, there are several other time dilation paradoxes that have been explored in Special Relativity. These include the Langevin-Einstein Twin Paradox, the Clock Paradox, and the Bell's Spaceship Paradox. Each of these thought experiments examines the effects of time dilation in different scenarios, but they all stem from the same principles of Special Relativity.