Converting a Lawn Tractor to Electric Power

In summary, you are converting an old gas lawn tractor to electric and you have sourced two 40v old Ryobi deck motors to drive the rear tires off a 48v lithium battery. You don't have specs for the smaller motor, but based on the datasheet information for the Ryobi mower, it is presumed to have an rpm of 2500 or 2800. The smaller motor is assumed to be able to handle the increased voltage. You expect to be able to run the mower for around 20 minutes without the added load of the two deck motors.
I'll check the resistance.

DaveE said:
Connect the windings to an oscilloscope and spin the motors.

Man, should I bust out the ol' oscilloscope? Now you're all thinking, "you have a 'scope and it's in the closet? WTH is wrong with you?" 😄🤣 I used to build valve guitar amps.

• Haha
Likes DaveE and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Update...So I have the drive motor, controller, throttle, battery etc all on the bench and it seems to be working well. I am waiting on the controllers for the two deck blade motors still. More on that later...

i have a question on the fuse (don't have one yet). Not being familiar with these brushless motors, it is a 2000w motor on a 48v battery so if I divide I get 42A so is there a spike under load? Anyone have an opinion on whether a 50A slo blo would be ok? Or do I need to get one that is closer to 40A?

The fuse size also depends on the characteristics of the controller; and if you expect the fuse to also protect the controller.

For instance if the controller has Soft Start, Current Limiting, and built-in protection to an overload, put a 100A fuse at the battery to handle both of them (and probably another controller and fuse for the traction motor).

If the controllers do NOT have Soft Start, Current Limit, etc., use a separate fuse for each power circuit (probably a 60A-75A Slo-Blo) to handle the motor start-up and when the blades hit something solid. The electronics in the controllers are effectively a very fast, expensive, fuse; as such, they protect the fuse by blowing first. :cry:

Cheers,
Tom
(Note: Be sure to have spare fuses on hand, and maybe a controller!)

Tom.G said:
The electronics in the controllers are effectively a very fast, expensive, fuse; as such, they protect the fuse by blowing first. :cry:
:smile:

Hello sir.

May I ask why?

I was a professional greenhouseman for more than ten years and my gardening skills are such that the tax adjuster claimed my landscaping added a full 15% value to my parent's home.

Gas mowers always outperform electric mowers. They can't spin the blades fast enough to prevent tearing the grass blades, unless you maintain the blades scrupulously sharp. Then the frayed tips die back until even with the main body of the grass blade. Individually the effect isn't much, but collectively this can put a brown sheen on your lawn or simply keep it from looking as green as it can be.

Likes dlgoff
Oh, and a caveat I feel compelled to relate, as I've seen no less than three intelligent men hurt themselves in this exact manner.

On a normal gas mower sometimes one has to clear the "bell" or underside of the mower. Especially if the grass is wetter than you thought before you began mowing. So what a lot of people do is tip it on its side and clear it out by hand. It's safe, there's a deadman's switch on the handle, right? What you HAVE to do before working under there is disconnect the spark plug! It's a simple pull of a cable in most cases. If you don't...

Invariably the blade will get in the way of the wet grass removal and you'll move the blade to another position.

And run the risk of compression starting the engine! For even one brief cycle that is a bad thing.

Unless of course you're a wanted man, then you no longer have to worry about all those pesky fingerprint issues.

And microsurgeons today are wonderful people I might add. The last guy I knew that this happened to you couldn't even see the scars where they reattached his fingers. (Unlike the first guy back in the mid seventies.)

Likes BillTre and Averagesupernova
BigDon said:
And microsurgeons today are wonderful people I might add. The last guy I knew that this happened to you couldn't even see the scars where they reattached his fingers.
Oh, well knowing this I'll be much less careful without worry. Lol. No, not really. They can do some amazing things now but I still value my digits being kept uninjured.