Relation between matrix elements of momentum and position operators

In summary, he is asking for a matrix element of an operator, and it seems that he may be using the canonical commutation relations to help him.
Fantini
Gold Member
MHB
Hello. I'm having trouble understanding what is required in the following problem:

Find the relation between the matrix elements of the operators $\widehat{p}$ and $\widehat{x}$ in the base of eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian for one particle, that is, $$\widehat{H} = \frac{1}{2M} \widehat{p}^2 + V(\widehat{x}).$$

I don't understand what kind of relation he is asking for. The eigenvectors for the Hamiltonian satisfy the equation $\widehat{H} \varphi_i = E_i \varphi_i$, but I don't know how to use that. The answer is $$\frac{ \langle i \, | \, p \, | j \rangle}{\langle i \, | \, x \, | j \rangle} = \frac{iM(E_i - E_j)}{\hbar},$$ but it doesn't enlighten me.

How do I find an arbitrary matrix element of an operator?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Just thinking out loud here. First off, we can tidy up the notation so that everything matches: $\hat{H} \, |i\rangle =E_i \, |i\rangle$, and the same for $j$. Let's remember some of the canonical commutation relations, in case they prove useful:
\begin{align*}
[x,p]&=i\hbar \\
[x,x]&=0 \\
[p,p]&=0 \\
[AB,C]&=A[B,C]+[A,C]B.
\end{align*}
The last allows us to compute
\begin{align*}
[x,H]&=\left[x,\frac{p^2}{2M}+V(x)\right] \\
&=\frac{1}{2M} \, [x,p^2]+\underbrace{[x,V(x)]}_{=0} \\
&=-\frac{1}{2M} \, [p^2,x] \\
&=-\frac{1}{2M} \, \left( p[p,x]+[p,x]p \right) \\
&=\frac{i \hbar}{M} \, p.
\end{align*}
The reason I computed this commutator is because the answer has $E_i$ and $E_j$ in it, leading me to think that we're going to have to calculate something with an $H$ in it. If you calculate $[x,H] \, |j\rangle$ two different ways, you get
$$[x,H] \, |j\rangle = \frac{i\hbar}{M} \, p \, |j\rangle = (E_j-H) \, x \, |j\rangle.$$
Here, I have done
\begin{align*}
[x,H] \, |j\rangle&=(xH-Hx) \, |j\rangle \\
&=xH \, |j\rangle - Hx \, |j\rangle \\
&=x E_j \, |j\rangle-Hx \, |j\rangle \\
&=E_j \, x \, |j\rangle -Hx \, |j\rangle \\
&=(E_j-H) \, x \, |j\rangle.
\end{align*}

It seems to me that these computations might help. Does this give you any ideas?

Related to Relation between matrix elements of momentum and position operators

1. How are the matrix elements of momentum and position operators related?

The matrix elements of momentum and position operators are related through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. This principle states that the uncertainty in the measurement of position and momentum for a particle cannot be simultaneously reduced to zero. Therefore, the matrix elements of these operators are inversely proportional to each other.

2. Can the matrix elements of momentum and position operators be calculated for any quantum system?

Yes, the matrix elements of momentum and position operators can be calculated for any quantum system. These operators are fundamental in quantum mechanics and play a crucial role in the description of the dynamics of a quantum system.

3. How do the matrix elements of momentum and position operators change with time?

The matrix elements of momentum and position operators change with time according to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. The exact form of this change depends on the Hamiltonian of the system and the initial conditions.

4. Are the matrix elements of momentum and position operators always real numbers?

No, the matrix elements of momentum and position operators are not always real numbers. In quantum mechanics, these operators are represented by Hermitian matrices, which have complex elements. However, for certain systems with special symmetries, the matrix elements of these operators can be real.

5. How do the matrix elements of momentum and position operators affect the accuracy of measurements?

The matrix elements of momentum and position operators directly affect the accuracy of measurements in quantum mechanics. The uncertainty principle states that the product of the uncertainties in measuring position and momentum is always greater than or equal to a constant value. Therefore, the smaller the matrix elements of these operators, the more accurate the measurements can be.