Relation between the matrix elements of the density matrix

In summary: Rearranging the terms, we get:\sum_{i,j=1}^{n} \rho_{ij}^2 - 2\sum_{i<j}^{n} \rho_{ii}\rho_{jj} + 1 \leq n Using the fact that \rho_{ii}\rho_{jj} \geq |\rho_{ij}|^{2}, we can rewrite the left side of the equation as:\sum_{i,j=1}^{n} \rho_{ij}^2 - 2\sum_{i<j}^{n
Gabriel Maia
Hi. I must prove that, in general, the following relation is valid for the elements of a density matrix

[tex] \rho_{ii}\rho_{jj} \geq |\rho_{ij}|^{2}. [/tex]

I did it for a 2x2 matrix. The density matrix is given by

[tex] \rho = \left[ \begin{array}{cc} \rho_{11} & \rho_{12} \\ \rho^{\ast}_{12} & \rho_{22} \end{array}\right]. [/tex]

Now, the trace of the square of the density matrix is

[tex] \rho_{11}^2 + \rho_{22}^{2} + 2|\rho_{12}|^{2} \leq 1 \\ (\rho_{11} + \rho_{22})^2 + 2|\rho_{12}|^{2} - 2\rho_{11}\rho_{22} \leq 1[/tex]

Because the sum of the diagonal elements of the density matrix is 1 we have that

[tex] |\rho_{12}|^{2} \leq \rho_{11}\rho_{22} [/tex]

This is what I've done so far but I have no idea how to prove it in the general way of

[tex] \rho_{ii}\rho_{jj} \geq |\rho_{ij}|^{2}. [/tex]

If, for example, the density matrix is a 3x3 matrix this means that this inequality is valid for any two elements of the diagonal. Do you know how can I approach this? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your progress in proving the relation \rho_{ii}\rho_{jj} \geq |\rho_{ij}|^{2} for a 2x2 density matrix. Your approach is correct and can be extended to prove the relation for any size density matrix.

To prove the relation for a general density matrix, we can start by considering the trace of the square of the density matrix. This will give us:

Tr(\rho^2) = \sum_{i=1}^{n} \rho_{ii}^2 + 2\sum_{i<j}^{n} |\rho_{ij}|^2

Where n is the dimension of the density matrix. We can rewrite this as:

Tr(\rho^2) = \sum_{i=1}^{n} \rho_{ii}^2 + \sum_{i<j}^{n} |\rho_{ij}|^2 + \sum_{i>j}^{n} |\rho_{ij}|^2

Since the trace of the density matrix is equal to 1, we can rewrite the first term as:

Tr(\rho^2) = \sum_{i=1}^{n} (1 - \sum_{j\neq i}^{n} \rho_{ij}^2) + \sum_{i<j}^{n} |\rho_{ij}|^2 + \sum_{i>j}^{n} |\rho_{ij}|^2

Expanding the squares and rearranging the terms, we get:

Tr(\rho^2) = n - \sum_{i,j=1}^{n} \rho_{ij}^2 + 2\sum_{i<j}^{n} |\rho_{ij}|^2

Using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, we know that:

|\rho_{ij}|^2 \leq \rho_{ii}\rho_{jj}

Substituting this in the above equation, we get:

Tr(\rho^2) \leq n - \sum_{i,j=1}^{n} \rho_{ij}^2 + 2\sum_{i<j}^{n} \rho_{ii}\rho_{jj}

Since the trace of the density matrix is equal to 1, we can rewrite this as:

1 \leq n - \sum_{i,j=1}^{n}

What is the density matrix?

The density matrix, also known as the density operator, is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that describes the probabilities of various states of the system. It is used to analyze the quantum behavior of a system when information about its exact state is not known.

What are the matrix elements of the density matrix?

The matrix elements of the density matrix are the elements of the matrix that represent the probabilities of the different states of the quantum system. They are typically represented by the symbol ρ and can be calculated using the density matrix equation.

What is the relation between the matrix elements of the density matrix?

The matrix elements of the density matrix are related to each other through the properties of Hermitian matrices. The density matrix is a Hermitian matrix, meaning that its elements are equal to their complex conjugates. This relationship allows for the calculation of the probabilities of different states of a quantum system.

How do the matrix elements of the density matrix relate to quantum entanglement?

The matrix elements of the density matrix can be used to describe the phenomenon of quantum entanglement. In a system with entangled particles, the density matrix will have non-zero elements in the off-diagonal positions, indicating a correlation between the particles' states. This correlation is what allows for the instantaneous communication of information between the particles, regardless of their spatial separation.

What is the significance of the diagonal elements of the density matrix?

The diagonal elements of the density matrix represent the probabilities of the system being in a particular state. The sum of all the diagonal elements is always equal to 1, indicating that the system must be in one of the possible states. These probabilities can be used to calculate the expected value of an observable in the system, making the diagonal elements crucial in understanding the behavior of a quantum system.