Expressing the density matrix in matrix form

In summary, the conversation discusses the form of a density matrix and whether it is wrong to say that it is a diagonal matrix with elements being the coefficients of a quantum state. It is concluded that this statement is incorrect and the general form of a density matrix is given. The conversation ends with an expression of understanding.
Morbidly_Green

Homework Statement

page1-800px-Lambda-type_system.pdf.jpg

Given the above lambda system, is it wrong to say that the density matrix is of the form ## \rho = c_1|1> + c_2|2> + c_3|3> ## ? Hence when written in matrix form (basis of ##|i>##), ## \rho ## is a diagonal matrix who's elements are the ##c_i##s?

Attachments

• page1-800px-Lambda-type_system.pdf.jpg
    page1-800px-Lambda-type_system.pdf.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 637
Physics news on Phys.org
Morbidly_Green said:
Given the above lambda system, is it wrong to say that the density matrix is of the form ## \rho = c_1|1> + c_2|2> + c_3|3> ## ? Hence when written in matrix form (basis of ##|i>##), ## \rho ## is a diagonal matrix who's elements are the ##c_i##s?
Yes, it is wrong because that ##\rho## is not a density operator, just a quantum state (ket). For pure states, the density operator will be a projection operator,
$$
| \psi \rangle \rightarrow \rho = | \psi \rangle \langle \psi |
$$
In the general case, one will have (for a basis ##| i \rangle##)
$$
\rho = \sum_i \sum_j c_{ij} | i \rangle \langle j|
$$
with the complex coefficients ##c_{ij}## to be determined for a particular state.

DrClaude said:
Yes, it is wrong because that ##\rho## is not a density operator, just a quantum state (ket). For pure states, the density operator will be a projection operator,
$$
| \psi \rangle \rightarrow \rho = | \psi \rangle \langle \psi |
$$
In the general case, one will have (for a basis ##| i \rangle##)
$$
\rho = \sum_i \sum_j c_{ij} | i \rangle \langle j|
$$
with the complex coefficients ##c_{ij}## to be determined for a particular state.

I see okay thank you

What is a density matrix?

A density matrix is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that takes into account both the state of the system and the probabilities of measuring different outcomes.

Why is it important to express the density matrix in matrix form?

Expressing the density matrix in matrix form allows for easier mathematical manipulation and analysis of quantum systems. It also provides a more intuitive understanding of the system's properties.

How is the density matrix related to quantum mechanics?

The density matrix is a key concept in quantum mechanics, as it allows for the calculation of important quantities such as the system's energy, momentum, and spin.

What are the elements of a density matrix?

A density matrix is a square matrix with complex elements. The number of rows and columns is equal to the number of possible quantum states in the system. The diagonal elements represent the probabilities of the system being in a particular state, while the off-diagonal elements represent the correlations between different states.

Can the density matrix be used for classical systems?

Yes, the density matrix can also be used to represent classical systems, although it is most commonly used in quantum mechanics. In classical systems, the density matrix reduces to a diagonal matrix with real elements representing the probabilities of different states.