Relation of Noether's theorem and group theory

In summary: It is only invariant under certain symmetries of the system, which in this case are the translations. As for whether a Lie group is necessarily a symmetry group, that is a matter of definitions and the properties of the group.
davidbenari
I'm doing a small research project on group theory and its applications. The topic I wanted to investigate was Noether's theorem.

I've only seen the easy proofs regarding translational symmetry, time symmetry and rotational symmetry (I'll post a link to illustrate what I mean by "the easy proofs"). I know there are way more abstract proofs dealing with Lagrangian densities and whatnot and "conserved currents" and "divergent Lagrange relations".

My research doesn't have to be too extensive to be honest, so I was wondering if what I'm planning to do seems reasonable (and makes sense) to you.

What I plan to do is show the "easy proofs", interpret them, and then say that the transformations of the type (For ##L(q(t),\dot{q}(t),t)##):

##\vec{r} \to \vec{r}+\epsilon\hat{n} ## ( and leave other coordinates the same)

or ##\vec{r} \to \vec{r}+\epsilon \vec{r} \times \hat{n} ## (and leave other coordinates the same)

or ##t \to t+\epsilon ## (and leave all other coordinates the same)

Define a Lie group, because they are a symmetry group of the Lagrangian (under certain conditions) and because they have continuous parameters and satisfy the relevant axioms for a group.

But this doesn't seem like a blatant application of group theory. I could've studied these transformations without even knowing group theory existed. So I was wondering what you thought?

Is Noether's theorem really an application of group theory? In what way? What should I investigate specifically?

Link for "easy proofs" : http://phys.columbia.edu/~nicolis/NewFiles/Noether_theorem.pdf

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The symmetry transformations that you deal with in Noether's theorem are going to form a group (as any set of symmetries of a system will do). This is the connection to group theory. For example, the set of translations form an (Abelian) group and the corresponding conserved quantity is linear momentum and so on. In addition, momentum is the generator of the group of translations.

Likes davidbenari
Okay, nice. Can I in addition say that they will form Lie groups since they depend on continuous parameters? Also, is a Lie group necessarily a symmetry group?

davidbenari said:
Also, is a Lie group necessarily a symmetry group?
No, this depends on your theory. For example, a system does not necessarily need to be invariant under translations.

Likes davidbenari

Related to Relation of Noether's theorem and group theory

1. What is Noether's theorem?

Noether's theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that for every continuous symmetry of a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity.

2. How is Noether's theorem related to group theory?

Noether's theorem is related to group theory because symmetries can be described mathematically using group theory. The conserved quantities in Noether's theorem correspond to elements of the group that describes the symmetry.

3. Can Noether's theorem be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, Noether's theorem can be applied to all physical systems that exhibit symmetries. This includes classical and quantum mechanical systems, as well as relativistic and non-relativistic systems.

4. What are some examples of Noether's theorem in action?

One example of Noether's theorem is the conservation of energy in a system with time translation symmetry. Another example is the conservation of angular momentum in a system with rotational symmetry.

5. Are there any limitations to Noether's theorem?

One limitation of Noether's theorem is that it only applies to symmetries that are continuous. It also does not apply to systems with spontaneously broken symmetries. Additionally, Noether's theorem does not provide a complete understanding of conserved quantities in quantum field theory.