Relationship between Imaginary Time Green's function and Average Occupancy

In summary, the conversation is about the relationship between the Green's function and the average occupancy of levels in Fermi Liquid Theory. The Green's function is defined as G(x, x') = -i <T(ψ(x)ψ+(x'))> and the average occupancy is n(x) = -i <ψ(x)ψ+(x)>. In the non-interacting case, the average occupancy can be calculated using n=(e^{\beta (\epsilon -\mu)}+1)^{-1}, but in the interacting case, it is more complicated and may involve the spectral function.
a2009
Hello everyone,

In Fermi Liquid Theory, I'm trying to understand what the relationship is between the Green's function and the average occupancy of levels. In my lecture they gave the relation

[tex]\left\langle n_k \right\rangle = G(k,\tau\rightarrow 0^+)[/tex]

Anyone know where this comes from?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is almost by definition. The Green's function is G(x, x') = -i <T(ψ(x)ψ+(x'))>. The particle density is n(x) = -i <ψ(x)ψ+(x)>. If you let x→x' and t→t' in G, you get n!

Thanks for the reply. Actually I was referring to the average occupation. In the non-interacting case

[tex] n=(e^{\beta (\epsilon -\mu)}+1)^{-1} [/tex]

In the interacting case it is not so simple. But this relationship was stated. I think it has to do with the spectral function.

Thanks again for any help.

Just rewrite what I said in momentum space.

Related to Relationship between Imaginary Time Green's function and Average Occupancy

1. What is the significance of the Imaginary Time Green's function in understanding the Average Occupancy in a system?

The Imaginary Time Green's function is a mathematical tool used to describe the behavior of particles in a system. Its relationship with the Average Occupancy, or the average number of particles in a given state, allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a system at different temperatures and energies.

2. How is the Imaginary Time Green's function related to the concept of thermal equilibrium?

In thermal equilibrium, the system reaches a state where its energy is evenly distributed among all its particles. The Imaginary Time Green's function helps us understand the distribution of energy in a system and how it changes with temperature, which is an essential aspect of thermal equilibrium.

3. Can the Imaginary Time Green's function determine the behavior of particles in a specific state?

Yes, the Imaginary Time Green's function can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state, which is related to the Average Occupancy of that state. It provides information about the behavior of individual particles and how they interact with each other.

4. How does the Average Occupancy change with temperature and energy?

The Average Occupancy is directly affected by temperature and energy. As temperature increases, more particles are excited to higher energy states, leading to a higher Average Occupancy. Similarly, when energy is added to the system, more particles can occupy higher energy states, resulting in an increase in Average Occupancy.

5. Why is the Imaginary Time Green's function often used in quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics?

The Imaginary Time Green's function is a powerful tool in both quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics because it allows us to study the behavior of particles in a system with many degrees of freedom. It provides a way to calculate the Average Occupancy and other thermodynamic properties of a system, making it a crucial tool in understanding complex systems.