Relationship between linear and rotational kinetic energy

In summary: You could have also used the fact that ##v = R\omega## to write the translational kinetic energy in terms of ##\omega## and then take the ratio. In summary, the ratio of translational kinetic energy to rotational kinetic energy for a solid disk rolling along a horizontal surface is 2:1. This can be simplified by using the fact that the disk does not slip or travel in a "pure roll" and substituting for angular velocity in terms of other variables. Additionally, you can use the equation v = Romega to write the translational kinetic energy in terms of omega and then take the ratio.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

Consider a solid disk of mass m and radius R rolling along a horizontal surface with the center of the disk moving horizontally with a speed v. The total kinetic energy of the disk is a combination of translational kinetic energy , KEt and rotational kinetic energy, KEr. Find the ration KEt/KEr

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I basically broke down the equations into their simplest forms to try to find the relationship. So
E = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2IW^2
E = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2 (1/2mR^2)w^2
E = 1/2mv^2 + 1/4mR^2 * W^2
I am really not sure how to how about solving this problem. I know I could make up some imaginary numbers for the variables and just guess and check for the relationship but I would prefer to solve this algebraically. The correct answer is 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are after the translational and rotational kinetic energies (or rather, their ratio), not the total kinetic energy.

What is the ratio? How can you simplify it?

Using the fact that the disk does not slip or travels in a 'pure roll', you can substitute for ##\omega## in terms of other variables. Then take the ratio.

Orodruin said:
You are after the translational and rotational kinetic energies (or rather, their ratio), not the total kinetic energy.

What is the ratio? How can you simplify it?

OK so I figured it out by breaking down the velocity into its parts. So
E = 1/2mv^2 + 1/4mR^2 * W^2
E = 1/2m(Rw)2 + 1/4mR^2 *w^2
E = 1/2 mR^2 * w^2 + 1/4mR^2 * w^2
Since everything in the translational and rotational kinetic energies is the same except 1/2 and 1/4 I can conclude that the translational kinetic energy is twice as big as the rotational kinetic energy. What was your approach?

Correct. There really is not much more to it.

Related to Relationship between linear and rotational kinetic energy

What is the relationship between linear and rotational kinetic energy?

The relationship between linear and rotational kinetic energy is that they are both forms of energy associated with the movement of an object. Linear kinetic energy refers to the energy an object possesses due to its linear motion, while rotational kinetic energy refers to the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion.

How are linear and rotational kinetic energy calculated?

Linear kinetic energy is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2*m*v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. Rotational kinetic energy is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2*I*ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia of the object and ω is its angular velocity.

Can an object have both linear and rotational kinetic energy?

Yes, an object can have both linear and rotational kinetic energy if it is both moving in a straight line and rotating at the same time. This can be seen in objects such as a spinning top or a rolling ball.

How does the distribution of mass affect the relationship between linear and rotational kinetic energy?

The distribution of mass affects the relationship between linear and rotational kinetic energy by affecting an object's moment of inertia. Objects with more mass distributed farther from their axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia and therefore a higher rotational kinetic energy, while objects with more mass concentrated closer to their axis of rotation will have a lower moment of inertia and a lower rotational kinetic energy.

Is there a conservation of energy principle for linear and rotational kinetic energy?

Yes, there is a conservation of energy principle for both linear and rotational kinetic energy. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant, and energy can only be transferred between linear and rotational kinetic energy forms, but cannot be created or destroyed.