Relationship between pressure and thermal conductivity

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of an equation for thermal conductivity and its relation to pressure using the kinetic theory of gases. The individual is unsure of the exact relationship and mentions the use of the ideal gas law and the book Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot.
jhartc90

Homework Statement

I would like to derive an equation that relates the thermal conductivity to the pressure using the kinetic theory of gases. However, I assumed that thermal conductivity was independent of pressure.

Homework Equations

I know that P = 2N/3V (1/2mv^2)

Also:

I believe that thermal conductivity is dependent on the temperature gradient in a material.

I know the flow of heat is proprotional to the temp. gradient.

So:

q = lambda * (grad T)

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot attempt this until I understand how the two are related. I know that the thermal conductivity can be related to the temperature gradient. I guess temperature is dependent on pressure. But I am fairly lost in how to relate the two.

Could I used the ideal gas law?

PV=nRT

grad(P)V = nR grad(T)

so grad(T) = grad(P) V / nR

q = lambda * grad(T)

lambda = q / grad (t)

Then

lambda = q / grad(P) V / nR

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a derivation of this in Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot.

Chestermiller said:
Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot.
what page in the book is the derivation of this on? All I see is a figure (Fig. 9.2-1)

What is the relationship between pressure and thermal conductivity?

The relationship between pressure and thermal conductivity is that an increase in pressure typically leads to an increase in thermal conductivity. This is because as pressure increases, the particles in a substance are forced closer together, causing them to collide more frequently and transfer heat more efficiently.

How does pressure affect thermal conductivity?

As pressure increases, the thermal conductivity of a substance also increases. This is due to the fact that as pressure increases, the molecules of a substance are forced closer together, leading to more frequent collisions and thus a greater transfer of heat.

What is an example of how pressure affects thermal conductivity?

An example of how pressure affects thermal conductivity is in the Earth's atmosphere. As you move higher in altitude, the pressure decreases, which leads to a decrease in thermal conductivity. This is why the air is colder at higher altitudes, as there is less pressure to transfer heat between molecules.

How is pressure related to thermal conductivity in gases versus liquids and solids?

In gases, an increase in pressure leads to an increase in thermal conductivity. However, in liquids and solids, an increase in pressure can actually decrease thermal conductivity. This is because in these states, the molecules are already close together, so increasing the pressure can cause them to become more tightly packed and less able to transfer heat.

How can pressure and thermal conductivity be manipulated for practical applications?

Pressure and thermal conductivity can be manipulated for practical applications in a number of ways. For example, in refrigeration systems, the pressure of a gas can be manipulated to control the thermal conductivity, allowing for efficient heat transfer and cooling. Additionally, materials with high thermal conductivity can be used in high-pressure environments to increase the efficiency of heat transfer.