Relationship between thickness, width and length

In summary: That clears things up a bit.In summary, the rectangular steel bar subjected to 80kN of tensile force will experience a change in length of 2.5mm.
Perodamh
1.A rectangular steelbar of length subjected to tensile force of 80kN. Calculate the change in length if the width and thickness are (40 & 25)mm respectively. (E = 207 GN/m2).

Homework Equations

E= stress/strain
stress = F/A; F =80kN
strain = dL/L
3. I just want to know what to use for the original length. whether its the width or the thickness. And also the relationship between width, thickness and length if anyone can explain. Thank you.[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Neither. The original length appears to have been omitted from your question (by you or someone else?). Without that, you can't calculate the change in length. you can only calculate the strain (dL/L).
There is no "relationship" between width, thickness and length. You can make a steel bar of any L, w and t you like. But you need w and t to calculate the stress from the force.
80 kN is not the stress, it is the force. How do you work out A in the equation stress = F/A?

mjc123 said:
Neither. The original length appears to have been omitted from your question (by you or someone else?). Without that, you can't calculate the change in length. you can only calculate the strain (dL/L).
There is no "relationship" between width, thickness and length. You can make a steel bar of any L, w and t you like. But you need w and t to calculate the stress from the force.
80 kN is not the stress, it is the force. How do you work out A in the equation stress = F/A?
The Area is the width * thickness?
I've crosschecked and that's how the question is.

Then the question as it stands is impossible to answer. You can calculate the relative change in length (i.e. the strain).

o
mjc123 said:
Then the question as it stands is impossible to answer. You can calculate the relative change in length (i.e. the strain).
my bad, the length is 2.5, just asked the lecturer again, for the area does that mean the length * width or still width * thickness

The relevant area is the cross-sectional area perpendicular to the direction of the force. I assume the force is in the direction of the length, though it doesn't explicitly say so.

mjc123 said:
The relevant area is the cross-sectional area perpendicular to the direction of the force. I assume the force is in the direction of the length, though it doesn't explicitly say so.
Okay, thanks

What is the relationship between thickness, width, and length?

The relationship between thickness, width, and length is known as dimensional analysis. It is the process of relating physical quantities, such as thickness, width, and length, to each other and understanding how they affect one another.

How does changing the thickness affect the width and length?

Changing the thickness of an object can affect the width and length in different ways. If the thickness decreases, the width and length may increase to maintain the same volume. If the thickness increases, the width and length may decrease to maintain the same volume.

What is the difference between thickness, width, and length?

Thickness, width, and length are all measurements of different dimensions. Thickness refers to the distance between two parallel surfaces, width is the measurement of the extent of something from side to side, and length is the measurement of an object from end to end.

How is the relationship between thickness, width, and length important in engineering?

The relationship between thickness, width, and length is crucial in engineering because it helps engineers design and create structures that can support different loads and withstand external forces. Understanding this relationship allows engineers to determine the appropriate dimensions for a given object or structure.

Can the relationship between thickness, width, and length be applied to all objects?

The relationship between thickness, width, and length can be applied to most solid objects, but it may not be applicable to objects with irregular shapes or fluids. For irregularly shaped objects, other factors such as volume and surface area may need to be considered in addition to thickness, width, and length.