Relationship between wavelength and concentration of particles

In summary: Hmm, what about is there a relationship between the concentration of particles in the air and the wavelength reflected off (not scattered) the...stuff?
angela6884
What is the relationship between the wavelength produced by a laser and the concentration of particles in the air? Does the wavelength get larger if the concentration of particles the beam hits increase?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no relationship that I know of nor any way to cause one.
Please you should tell us what prompts the question.

You can look at phenomena like Rayleigh scattering; i.e. the rate of attenuation of a laser beam can be related to quantities like the number density of particles in the air and the scattering cross-section (inversely proportional to the fourth power of wavelength I think?). I can't remember what the exact relations are off the top of my head.

It might not be what you're after, though.

hutchphd said:
There is no relationship that I know of nor any way to cause one.
Please you should tell us what prompts the question.
Oh, I was just curious because I know that reflection nebulae, when there is more interstellar dust around, the nebula reflects more of the light from nearby stars.

etotheipi said:
You can look at phenomena like Rayleigh scattering; i.e. the rate of attenuation of a laser beam can be related to quantities like the number density of particles in the air and the scattering cross-section (inversely proportional to the fourth power of wavelength I think?). I can't remember what the exact relations are off the top of my head.

It might not be what you're after, though.
Thanks! I'll look into it!

What does this have to do with the wavelength produced by a laser?

Likes etotheipi
hutchphd said:

Yeah, I'd say the best bet is to read the label :cool:

angela6884 said:
Oh, I was just curious because I know that reflection nebulae, when there is more interstellar dust around, the nebula reflects more of the light from nearby stars.

It's going to be scattering of some variety of light from a star. The amount of scattering will naturally be proportional to the number of particles there to scatter it. Perhaps try googling some of these scattering mechanisms!

hutchphd said:
Like if I took a spectrometer and looked at the beam of the laser, would the wavelength increase of decrease depending on the amount of particles in the air?

angela6884 said:
Like if I took a spectrometer and looked at the beam of the laser, would the wavelength increase of decrease depending on the amount of particles in the air?

For the wavelength of any individual photon to change you need it to undergo an interaction of some sort; this interaction must be specified.

Rayleigh scattering is essentially elastic scattering and the wavelength of the emitted light is the same. It's scattered in different directions, however, so all you'll notice is a drop in intensity. Other scattering processes can be inelastic.

To really answer the question more detail about the experimental setup is required.

etotheipi said:
For the wavelength of any individual photon to change you need it to undergo an interaction of some sort; this interaction must be specified.

Rayleigh scattering is essentially elastic scattering and the wavelength of the emitted light is the same. It's scattered in different directions, however, so all you'll notice is a drop in intensity. Other scattering processes can be inelastic.

To really answer the question more detail about the experimental setup is required.
Oh ok, so is it the intensity being affected? Not the wavelength?

angela6884 said:
Oh ok, so is it the intensity being affected? Not the wavelength?

Depends on the scattering process. For a laser beam through a system of particles, where the only interaction is Rayleigh scattering, and there is a detector in the path of the beam on the other end. I believe that's a reasonable evaluation. You'll need to look into the details for reflection nebulae, however!

etotheipi said:
Depends on the scattering process. For a laser beam through a system of particles, where the only interaction is Rayleigh scattering, and there is a detector in the path of the beam on the other end. I believe that's a reasonable evaluation. You'll need to look into the details for reflection nebulae, however!
Ok thank you so much!

angela6884 said:
In general no. If the particles are moving at very high speeds there can be some relativistic effects that would cause shifts.

Likes etotheipi
hutchphd said:
In general no. If the particles are moving at very high speeds there can be some relativistic effects that would cause shifts.
Interesting!

hutchphd said:
Hmm, what about is there a relationship between the concentration of particles in the air and the wavelength reflected off (not scattered) the particles?

angela6884 said:
What is the relationship between the wavelength produced by a laser and the concentration of particles in the air? Does the wavelength get larger if the concentration of particles the beam hits increase?
By "particles", do you mean dust particles etc. floating in the air, or do you mean air molecules (O2, N2, etc.)?

jtbell said:
By "particles", do you mean dust particles etc. floating in the air, or do you mean air molecules (O2, N2, etc.)?
I'm thinking interstellar medium which are incredibly small and composed of iron, silicates, etc.

What is the relationship between wavelength and concentration of particles?

The relationship between wavelength and concentration of particles is an inverse one. This means that as the wavelength of light decreases, the concentration of particles in a solution increases.

How does the concentration of particles affect the wavelength of light?

The concentration of particles in a solution affects the wavelength of light by causing a phenomenon known as Rayleigh scattering. This is when particles in a solution scatter light, causing it to have a shorter wavelength.

Why is the relationship between wavelength and concentration of particles important in scientific research?

The relationship between wavelength and concentration of particles is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to measure the concentration of particles in a solution by analyzing the wavelength of light that is scattered by the particles.

What is the role of wavelength in determining the concentration of particles in a solution?

Wavelength plays a crucial role in determining the concentration of particles in a solution because it is directly related to the amount of light that is scattered by the particles. By measuring the wavelength of scattered light, scientists can determine the concentration of particles in a solution.

How does the type of particles in a solution affect the relationship between wavelength and concentration?

The type of particles in a solution can affect the relationship between wavelength and concentration. For example, larger particles may scatter light differently than smaller particles, resulting in a different relationship between wavelength and concentration. Additionally, the chemical properties of the particles can also impact this relationship.