Particle Accelerator concentration

In summary: Summary::What concentration for electrical engineering works on particle accelerators?Superconductors. RF engineering. High vacuum engineering. Magnetics and super-cold temperatures. Alpha particle slamming into gold.
random123
Summary:: What concentration for electrical engineering works on particle accelerators?

What concentration for electrical engineering works on particle accelerators?

Physics news on Phys.org
Huh? What exactly are you asking?

random123 said:
Summary:: What concentration for electrical engineering works on particle accelerators?

Welcome to PF.

What do you mean by "works on"? If you mean design, that would normally be handled by Physicists, but could be supported by EEs. Are you starting university and wondering what kind of electives you should take to get into that field of specialty?

Likes sysprog
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

What do you mean by "works on"? If you mean design, that would normally be handled by Physicists, but could be supported by EEs. Are you starting university and wondering what kind of electives you should take to get into that field of specialty?
I mean what masters concentration of electrical engineering would someone get to pursue work on particle accelerators?

berkeman said:
If you mean design, that would normally be handled by Physicists
What @berkeman said.

Likes berkeman
random123 said:

Superconductors. RF engineering. High vacuum engineering. Did I forget anything? :wink:

• Informative
Likes dlgoff
random123 said:
BTW, I did a Google search for EE jobs at CERN and got lots of hits. Maybe try similar searches to see what kind of qualifications employers are asking for in the field of accelerators.

Likes dlgoff and sysprog
berkeman said:
Superconductors. RF engineering. High vacuum engineering. Did I forget anything? :wink:
Oh how about magnetics and super-cold temperatures, and slamming alpha particles at near-light speeds into a sheet of gold ##-## I'm pretty sure that nope, you didn't forget anything, you just didn't mention everything, and neither did I . . .

Likes dlgoff and berkeman
random123 said:

To answer your original question, even though it is a month too late, is the area of electromagnetic fields. RF fields and RF system design are part of this huge area. Many physicists and electrical engineers in this field work on waveguides, RF cavity designs, charged-beam physics, etc.

I suggest you look up, for example, the curriculum offered during one of the Particle Accelerator Schools. This will give you as clear of a description as any of the subject areas involved in such a field. If you choose to go into this field, there's a good chance that you will be taking one of these PAS courses.

Zz.

Likes random123

1. What is a particle accelerator?

A particle accelerator is a machine that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate and collide particles at high speeds. This allows scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.

2. What is particle accelerator concentration?

Particle accelerator concentration is the process of increasing the number of particles in a given area or volume within a particle accelerator. This is typically done by increasing the density of particles or decreasing the size of the accelerator.

3. How is particle accelerator concentration achieved?

Particle accelerator concentration can be achieved through various methods, such as increasing the energy of the particles, increasing the strength of the magnetic fields, or using smaller and more powerful accelerators.

4. Why is particle accelerator concentration important?

Particle accelerator concentration is important because it allows scientists to study particle interactions at higher energies and with greater precision. This can lead to new discoveries and advancements in fields such as physics, chemistry, and medicine.

5. What are the potential risks of particle accelerator concentration?

The main risk of particle accelerator concentration is the possibility of accidents or malfunctions that could result in the release of high-energy particles. Additionally, there are concerns about the potential impact of high-energy particle collisions on the environment and human health.