Relative Humidity 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) away....

In summary, the water vapor from the sea can reach you 10 kilometers away if the relative humidity is above 50%.
cube137
Hi, I'm reading about 50% relative humidity in my house about 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) away from the sea. How can water vapor from the sea reach me 10 kilometers away? I'm expecting zero or very low relative humidity.. does it mean if you live the ocean, you won't get relative humidity below 40% or 30%? How far from sea before relativity humidity drop to very low value?

In a room.. what things can lower the humidity.. can opening electric fan blow the water vapors around the room or away?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no expected relative humidity value as a function of distance from the sea. For example, the Pole of Inaccessibility (the point furthest from the ocean) for the continent of South America is in the Brazilian rain forest, where the relative humidity is always very high! The water vapor in the air comes from evaporation of open water bodies, but also from transpiration of vegetation.

As far as rooms go, many things can lower humidity. A simple fan cannot preferentially "blow away" water vapors, but you can get a dehumidifier or a desiccant, for example.

Likes Chestermiller
cube137 said:
Hi, I'm reading about 50% relative humidity in my house about 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) away from the sea. How can water vapor from the sea reach me 10 kilometers away? I'm expecting zero or very low relative humidity.. does it mean if you live the ocean, you won't get relative humidity below 40% or 30%? How far from sea before relativity humidity drop to very low value?

In a room.. what things can lower the humidity.. can opening electric fan blow the water vapors around the room or away?

Thank you!
You're confusing the atmosphere with something that is static. Evaporation takes place over large bodies of water, like seas and oceans, and winds move the air and the water vapor around over the surface of the globe. Some of the water vapor will be held close to the ground; additional water vapor collects into clouds, which are found at various altitudes.

Some cities where you would expect low relative humidity, like Las Vegas, Nevada or Phoenix, Arizona, actually never drop below about 20%. For drier places than this, you must travel to some pretty inhospitable locations, like the Atacama Desert in Chile.

1. What is relative humidity?

Relative humidity is a measure of the amount of water vapor present in the air compared to the maximum amount of water vapor the air can hold at a particular temperature. It is expressed as a percentage.

2. How is relative humidity measured?

Relative humidity is measured using a device called a hygrometer. This instrument contains a sensor that measures the amount of water vapor in the air and calculates the relative humidity based on that measurement.

3. Why is relative humidity important?

Relative humidity is important because it affects how comfortable we feel in our environment. High relative humidity can make us feel hot and sticky, while low relative humidity can cause dry skin and respiratory issues. It also plays a role in weather patterns and can impact the growth of plants and fungi.

4. How does relative humidity change with distance?

Relative humidity can vary with distance as it is affected by factors such as temperature, wind, and topography. Generally, humidity decreases as you move away from a source of moisture, such as a body of water or a dense forest.

5. Why is relative humidity often measured 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) away?

Relative humidity is often measured 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) away because it is a common distance used in weather forecasting. This distance allows for a more accurate representation of the overall humidity in a particular area, as it takes into account the varying conditions and sources of moisture that can affect humidity levels.