Relative motion or Newton first law?

In summary, the observer on the ground can see the person on the train moving to the west while the train is moving east due to relative motion. The person must be walking at a speed greater than the train's speed in order to appear to be moving west. As the train's speed increases and becomes greater than the person's, the person will no longer appear to be moving west.
a lone fishy

Homework Statement

An observer on the ground sees a person on a train just leaving the station in the east direction. explain how the observer on the ground could see the person moving to the west while the train is moving east

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought this was Newton First law. Reason is because the guy the person is at rest but when the train starts moving east, the person is jerked backward and therefore he moved west. However the question doesn't say the train was suddenly acceleration forward so i don't believe this is the right answer.

I then thought about how this can also be seen as relative motion: the person is already moving west. The person must also be walking at a speed greater than the speed of the train to make it look like the person is moving west. Then when the train starts to accelerate and once the trains speed is greater that the person's, the person will no longer be seen moving west

I am torn on which answer it is

Physics news on Phys.org
In the first suggestion, would the jerk result in the passenger moving West relative to the train faster than the train is moving to the East?

I believe so. Your wording is a bit confusing :s

a lone fishy said:
I believe so. Your wording is a bit confusing :s
Let me phrase it with an analogy.
A marble is at rest on a horizontal flat plate. You tug the plate swiftly to the right. Do you believe that this could result in the marble's moving, even briefly, leftwards relative to the ground?

Definetely

a lone fishy said:
Definetely
If that's your intuition then I can only suggest you work through some equations to see what will happen.

How about the second option that I've written? In both cases the person can be seen moving to the west even when the train moves to the east. Is one answer more right than the other?

a lone fishy said:
How about the second option that I've written? In both cases the person can be seen moving to the west even when the train moves to the east. Is one answer more right than the other?
I'm quite happy with your second answer. The first is provably wrong.

thank you

a lone fishy said:
thank you
OK, but your answer in post #5 bothers me. You need to educate your intuition on this.
The only force acting horizontally on the marble is to the right. How can that make it move left?

well if i think about a car on the highway, when we accelerate even more, our body moves slams backward in the seat before our bodies adapt to the change in velocity. But now that I think about it, I'm not quite sure where the marble would move left then right

a lone fishy said:
well if i think about a car on the highway, when we accelerate even more, our body moves slams backward in the seat before our bodies adapt to the change in velocity.
Yes, but that's motion relative to the car, not relative to the ground.

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to another object. It is the concept of observing the motion of one object from the perspective of another object.

2. How does Newton's first law relate to relative motion?

Newton's first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that in the absence of external forces, an object's motion is relative to its own frame of reference.

3. Can relative motion be observed in everyday life?

Yes, relative motion can be observed in everyday life. For example, when you are sitting in a moving car, the objects outside the car appear to be moving in the opposite direction. This is because your frame of reference is the moving car, while the objects outside have a different frame of reference.

4. How does relative motion affect the perception of speed?

Relative motion can affect the perception of speed because it is dependent on the observer's frame of reference. For example, a person standing on the side of a road may perceive a car as moving very fast, while a person in the car may perceive the speed as moderate.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding relative motion?

Yes, understanding relative motion has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is essential for accurately predicting the motion of objects and designing structures or systems that can withstand different types of relative motion.