Relative Refractory Period of Action Potentials

In summary: Perhaps a longer excerpt from the book will make it clearer to me. From the short bit, my guess is that they are saying that at the end of an action potential the sodium channels do not all recover from their inactivation simultaneously. Thus after an action potential, only some channels have recovered from the inactivation, and it is these channels that are available for starting the next action potential. Since there are fewer sodium channels available than if all the sodium channels had recovered, it takes a bigger stimulus to cause the next action potential.
Shakattack12
Hello,

Quick question on the relative refractory period in neurons. I understand it is caused by the slow closing of voltage gated K+ channels, which leads to hyperpolarisation. This means a larger than normal stimulus is required to bring the membrane to threshold.

However, after reading my textbook it also says some Voltage gated Na+ channels are slow to open. I read elsewhere that the activation gate is voltage dependent while the inactivation gate is time dependent. How does this contribute to the membrane requiring a greater than normal stimulus?

Biology news on Phys.org
In the rising phase of an action potential, voltage-gated sodium channels open and sodium enters the cell.

In the falling phase of an action potential, voltage-gated sodium channels remain open but become inactivated, preventing sodium from entering or leaving the cell through those channels. In the falling phase of the falling phase of an action potential, voltage-gated potassium channels also open and potassium leaves the cell.

The sodium channel inactivation contributes to an absolute refractory period, during which even if the voltage is above spike threshold, an action potential will not occur since its rising phase requires sodium entry through the voltage-gated sodium channel, which is inactivated.

The potassium channel opening contributes to a relative refractory period. In this time, the sodium channels are no longer inactivated, so it is possible for an action potential to start. However, to start an action potential the voltage must become more positive (ie. positively charged ions must enter the cell). Since the potassium channels are open, and potassium ions are leaving the cell (ie. positively charged ions are leaving the cell), this means that we have to have an even bigger amount of positively charged ions entering the cell (to counteract the potassium ions leaving the cell) in order to start an action potential.

atyy said:
In the rising phase of an action potential, voltage-gated sodium channels open and sodium enters the cell.

In the falling phase of an action potential, voltage-gated sodium channels remain open but become inactivated, preventing sodium from entering or leaving the cell through those channels. In the falling phase of the falling phase of an action potential, voltage-gated potassium channels also open and potassium leaves the cell.

The sodium channel inactivation contributes to an absolute refractory period, during which even if the voltage is above spike threshold, an action potential will not occur since its rising phase requires sodium entry through the voltage-gated sodium channel, which is inactivated.

The potassium channel opening contributes to a relative refractory period. In this time, the sodium channels are no longer inactivated, so it is possible for an action potential to start. However, to start an action potential the voltage must become more positive (ie. positively charged ions must enter the cell). Since the potassium channels are open, and potassium ions are leaving the cell (ie. positively charged ions are leaving the cell), this means that we have to have an even bigger amount of positively charged ions entering the cell (to counteract the potassium ions leaving the cell) in order to start an action potential.

Sorry I may not have been clear enough. I understand everything you have said. I have attached a photo of the exact sentence in the textbook. How does this have anything to do with requiring a larger-than-normal stimulus or the relative refractory period?

Attachments

• IMG_0421.JPG
    IMG_0421.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 295
Shakattack12 said:
Sorry I may not have been clear enough. I understand everything you have said. I have attached a photo of the exact sentence in the textbook. How does this have anything to do with requiring a larger-than-normal stimulus or the relative refractory period?

Perhaps a longer excerpt from the book will make it clearer to me. From the short bit, my guess is that they are saying that at the end of an action potential the sodium channels do not all recover from their inactivation simultaneously. Thus after an action potential, only some channels have recovered from the inactivation, and it is these channels that are available for starting the next action potential. Since there are fewer sodium channels available than if all the sodium channels had recovered, it takes a bigger stimulus to cause the next action potential.

Likes jim mcnamara
That's all the information the book includes. The rest continues with what you mentioned above regarding voltage gated K+ channels. However, I understand what you are saying. Thanks for the help.

What is the relative refractory period of action potentials?

The relative refractory period of action potentials is the period of time after an action potential has been fired in a neuron during which it is more difficult to generate another action potential. This is due to the fact that the neuron is in a state of hyperpolarization, where the membrane potential is more negative than the resting potential.

What causes the relative refractory period?

The relative refractory period is caused by the opening of voltage-gated potassium channels and the slow closing of voltage-gated sodium channels. This results in a brief period of hyperpolarization, making it more difficult for the neuron to reach the threshold for firing another action potential.

How long does the relative refractory period last?

The relative refractory period typically lasts around 2 milliseconds, but this can vary depending on the type of neuron and the strength of the stimulus. In general, the stronger the stimulus, the shorter the relative refractory period will be.

What is the significance of the relative refractory period?

The relative refractory period allows for proper regulation of the firing rate of action potentials in neurons. It also prevents the neuron from becoming overexcited and potentially causing damage. This period also allows for different types of stimuli to be distinguished, as stronger stimuli will be able to overcome the relative refractory period and generate additional action potentials.

How does the relative refractory period affect neuronal signaling?

The relative refractory period plays a crucial role in regulating the timing and strength of neuronal signaling. It allows for precise control of the firing rate of action potentials and helps prevent the neurons from becoming fatigued. It also allows for the integration of multiple signals, as the relative refractory period can be used to distinguish between different stimuli.