Relative Velocity Against the Water Current

In summary, the rower will never reach his goal 36 m away as his canoe's resultant velocity is negative (i.e., his canoe is effectively going downstream even though it is trying to go upstream).
unoonu
Homework Statement
A rower is paddling his canoe towards his goal 36 m away against the current with a speed of 3 m/s with respect to the water. If the speed of the water with respect to the ground is 6 m/s, how long will it take him to reach his goal?
Relevant Equations
Based on my own understanding:
1. v[SUB]canoe_wrt_ground[/SUB] = v[SUB]canoe_wrt_water[/SUB] + v[SUB]water_wrt_ground[/SUB]
2. v[SUB]canoe_wrt_water[/SUB] = 3 m/s
3. v[SUB]water_wrt_ground[/SUB] = -6 m/s
vcanoe_wrt_ground = 3 m/s + (-6) m/s = 3 m/s - 6 m/s = -3 m/s

Thus, if I understand this correctly, the rower will never reach his goal 36 m away as his canoe's resultant velocity is negative (i.e., his canoe is effectively going downstream even though it is trying to go upstream). My only problem with this is that this seems to be an unexpected answer to the question, which makes me think that I might be missing something important here.

I would appreciate your kind feedback!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the rower cannot make progress upstream. You need a diagram of the scenario to see what is intended.

Likes unoonu
unoonu said:
Homework Statement:: A rower is paddling his canoe towards his goal 36 m away against the current with a speed of 3 m/s with respect to the water. If the speed of the water with respect to the ground is 6 m/s, how long will it take him to reach his goal?
Thus, if I understand this correctly, the rower will never reach his goal 36 m away a
Have you supplied the question completely and accurately? If so, I agree with you.
Could this simply be a 'trick' question to check your basic understanding?

Likes unoonu
Alternately, if the "goal" is a hapless swimmer thrashing in the water hoping for rescue then an answer can be obtained.

Or one can work the original question, obtain an answer, note that it is negative and conclude that the rower was previously at the goal as of the indicated delta time in the past.

Last edited:
Likes unoonu
There is another interpretation. The problem states that the goal is "36 m away". If the direction of the displacement vector is downstream, the solution is trivial.

For this interpretation to work, "Towards his goal" should be interpreted as "in such a way as to enable him to reach his goal", not as a vector direction.

• Haha
Likes Steve4Physics and unoonu
kuruman said:
If the direction of the displacement vector is downstream, the solution is trivial.
Within ##\arcsin \frac{1}{2}## (30 degrees) of straight downstream it is still possible, albeit a bit less trivial.

Likes unoonu
PeroK said:
You need a diagram of the scenario to see what is intended.
Steve4Physics said:
Have you supplied the question completely and accurately?
Unfortunately, this is all that was provided. My instructor won't respond to any queries, too, sadly.
kuruman said:
There is another interpretation. The problem states that the goal is "36 m away". If the direction of the displacement vector is downstream, the solution is trivial.
I had thought so, too, but the phrasing of the problem made me think otherwise. I wonder if it would be acceptable to have two answers in this case, haha.

General rule is to explain why you think a problem is impossible to solve, state some reasonable assumptions to make the problem possible to solve (but not trivial) and solve it on that basis.

Several of my instructors over the years made statements of this sort. Usually when they were also telling us to "always show your work".

Naturally, whether this works depends on whether your instructor is a reasonable person.

Likes unoonu
It is also possilbe that the instructor inadvertently swapped the speeds of the canoe and the water current.

Likes jbriggs444 and unoonu
Thank you, everyone!

Likes jbriggs444 and kuruman

1. What is relative velocity against the water current?

Relative velocity against the water current is the speed and direction of an object in relation to the movement of the water current. It takes into account both the speed and direction of the object and the speed and direction of the water current.

2. How is relative velocity against the water current calculated?

Relative velocity against the water current is calculated using vector addition. The speed and direction of the object and the speed and direction of the water current are added together to determine the overall relative velocity.

3. What factors affect relative velocity against the water current?

The speed and direction of the water current, as well as the speed and direction of the object, are the main factors that affect relative velocity against the water current. Other factors such as the shape and size of the object can also have an impact.

4. Why is relative velocity against the water current important?

Relative velocity against the water current is important because it helps us understand the movement of objects in water. It is especially useful in fields such as marine engineering, oceanography, and naval architecture, where precise calculations of relative velocity are necessary for designing and operating vessels.

5. How does relative velocity against the water current differ from absolute velocity?

Relative velocity against the water current takes into account the movement of the water current, while absolute velocity only considers the movement of the object. This means that relative velocity can change depending on the speed and direction of the water current, while absolute velocity remains constant unless the object's speed or direction changes.