Motion in 2 Dimensions & Relative velocity

In summary, when attempting to minimize the distance downstream that a river carries you while swimming across it, the resultant velocity must be perpendicular to your swimming velocity in order to achieve the shortest downstream distance. This can be seen by representing the river flow velocity and possible swimming velocities on a diagram, where the resultant velocity will be tangent to the circle of possible swimming velocities and orthogonal to the radius corresponding to the swimming velocity.
EEristavi

Homework Statement

The water in a river flows uniformly at a constant speed
of 2.50 m/s between parallel banks 80.0 m apart. You
are to deliver a package across the river, but you can
swim only at 1.50 m/s.
(c) If you choose to minimize the distance downstream
that the river carries you, in what direction should you
head? (d) How far downstream will you be carried?

Homework Equations

S = V T
V = V1 + V2

The Attempt at a Solution

V = 1.5 - swimmer's velocity
L = 80 - distance between banks
Vr = 2.5 -Velocity of river
α - Angle between distance between banks and velocity
t - time required to cross the river
d - distance traveled downV cosα t = L (1)
(Vr - V sinα) t = d (2)(1) ->
t = L / V cosα (3)(2), (3) ->
(Vr - V sinα) L / (V cosα) = d

Vr L secα / V - V L tanα = d

(Find derivative and set equal to 0 - to find extreme point)
Vr L secα tanα/ V - V L sec2α = 0

133 secα tanα - 120 sec2α = 0

secα (133 tanα - 120 secα) = 0

133 tanα =120 secα

sinα = 120/133

α ≅ 64Note: In solutions, I read that the α ≅ 53.1.
Moreover, it says that resultant velocity must be perpendicular to swimming velocity (but it's not written why)

Can you tell what I'm doing wrong and why it must be perpendicular (it seems like this is the starting point for the solution)

Physics news on Phys.org
EEristavi said:
(2), (3) ->
(Vr - V sinα) L / (V cosα) = d

Vr L secα / V - V L tanα = d
Second line above is incorrect.

Likes EEristavi
DrClaude said:
Second line above is incorrect.

I see... I had other problem and when I fixed it, I made this one :(

Sorry for such a lame question - Though it was something conceptual.
Thank you.

Can you tell me something about perpendicularity?

Here is a diagram (click for larger size):
Image-1.png

The green arrow is the river flow velocity ##\vec v_{\rm river}##, the red arrows represent possible swimming velocities, which must all be within the red circle. The blue arrows therefore represent different possible resultant velocities. The direction of the resultant velocity will tell you how far downstream you will be carried. Clearly, the vector with the least steep tilt (which will mean the shortest downstream distance) occurs when the resultant velocity is tangent to the red circle, which will mean that it is orthogonal to the circle's radius, i.e., the corresponding swimming velocity.

Edit: This is the geometrical reason. You should of course dress this in mathematical terms yourself.

Attachments

• Image-1.png
    Image-1.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 577
Likes Merlin3189, vanhees71, berkeman and 2 others

1. What is motion in 2 dimensions?

Motion in 2 dimensions refers to the movement of an object in two different directions, typically represented as the horizontal and vertical axes. This type of motion is often seen in projectile motion, where an object is launched at an angle and moves in both the horizontal and vertical directions.

2. How is motion in 2 dimensions different from motion in 1 dimension?

Motion in 1 dimension only involves movement in one direction, typically represented as a straight line. In contrast, motion in 2 dimensions involves movement in two different directions, making it more complex and requiring the use of vectors for accurate calculations.

3. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the measurement of the velocity of an object in relation to another object or point of reference. It takes into account the motion of both objects and the direction in which they are moving relative to each other. This concept is important in understanding the motion of objects in different frames of reference.

4. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity can be calculated by subtracting the velocity of the reference point from the velocity of the moving object. This can be represented mathematically as Vrel = Vobject - Vreference. It is important to note that the direction of the velocity vectors must also be taken into consideration when calculating relative velocity.

5. How does relative velocity impact everyday situations?

Relative velocity is important in understanding the movement of objects in everyday situations. For example, when driving a car, the relative velocity of other vehicles on the road must be taken into account to avoid collisions. It is also used in aviation to calculate the speed and direction of an aircraft in relation to the ground and other aircrafts. Additionally, relative velocity is a key concept in understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in space.