Relative velocity between a Bus and a Car

In summary, the bus was going faster than the car, but because the car was in front, the bus was able to catch up to the car.
buckybarnes
Homework Statement
A car travels 9m/s east and a bus travels 13m/s east. The bus observes the car as being 9000m infront of it.

1. How long will it take the bus to reach the initial observation point of the car?
2. How long will it take the bus to reach the car?
Relevant Equations
would you use t=d/s?
for part 1: t= d/s = 9000/13 = 692.31s
for part 2: What i am unsure about is wether or not this is after the initial observation or exactly what they are asking honestly. so i found the relative velocity of the bus to the car and vice vera and came up with: t=d/s = 9000/4 = 2250s however i don't think that this is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Part 1: Whose's speed should you be using?
Part 2: Which vehicle is moving faster? What can you conclude from that?

buckybarnes said:
for part 1: t= d/s = 9000/13 = 692.31s
for part 2: What i am unsure about is wether or not this is after the initial observation or exactly what they are asking honestly. so i found the relative velocity of the bus to the car and vice vera and came up with: t=d/s = 9000/4 = 2250s however i don't think that this is correct.

In part 1: why do you divide by 13? The bus is traveling at speed 9 m/s. In part 2: how can the bus ever cacth the car? (Read the question!)

It looks to me as though the speeds of the bus and car are swapped. Part 2 would make more sense if they were swapped.

FactChecker said:
It looks to me as though the speeds of the bus and car are swapped. Part 2 would make more sense if they were swapped.
yes i reworded the question, i wrote it wrong unfortunately, how would part 2 make sense now?

FactChecker said:
Part 1: Whose's speed should you be using?
Part 2: Which vehicle is moving faster? What can you conclude from that?
the bus moves faster but would that mean that it is just able to catch up?

buckybarnes said:
yes i reworded the question, i wrote it wrong unfortunately, how would part 2 make sense now?
Then I think your calculations of both parts are correct.

FactChecker said:
Then I think your calculations of both parts are correct.
okay! could you please explain to me why my calculation to my second part was correct? I am so confused i just guessed that answer. also thank u so very much for helping me it means alot!

The car is going at 9 m/s and the bus is going at 13 m/s, the car is in front but slower. So the bus is catching up at 13-9 = 4 m/s. It needs to catch up an amount of 9000 m. So it takes 9000/4 seconds for it to catch up.

For part two you used their relative velocity.
You probably said, the bus is moving 4 m/s relative to car, which started out 9 km away from bus (ie relative distance at that time.)
That's why relative velocity is useful: you cancel out the movement of one object.

Whether your answer is correct, is irrelevant! You have worked out the time both from the initial observation to reaching the car's original position and from the initial observation to catching up with the car. If they had wanted the difference between these two times, they can just subtract. If they don't like it, it's their own fault for not being clear enough in the question!

Edit: Sorry, I did not notice FactChecker had already replied.

Likes buckybarnes
Merlin3189 said:
For part two you used their relative velocity.
You probably said, the bus is moving 4 m/s relative to car, which started out 9 km away from bus (ie relative distance at that time.)
That's why relative velocity is useful: you cancel out the movement of one object.

Whether your answer is correct, is irrelevant! You have worked out the time both from the initial observation to reaching the car's original position and from the initial observation to catching up with the car. If they had wanted the difference between these two times, they can just subtract. If they don't like it, it's their own fault for not being clear enough in the question!

Edit: Sorry, I did not notice FactChecker had already replied.
dont worry! your response was very informative and helped clear my understanding further :)

Related to Relative velocity between a Bus and a Car

What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the measurement of the speed and direction of an object in relation to another object.

How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of another object.

What factors affect the relative velocity between a bus and a car?

The relative velocity between a bus and a car can be affected by the speed of the vehicles, their direction of travel, and any external factors such as wind or other obstacles.

Can the relative velocity between a bus and a car ever be zero?

Yes, the relative velocity between a bus and a car can be zero if they are both traveling at the same speed and in the same direction.

How does the relative velocity between a bus and a car change if one of the vehicles changes direction?

If one of the vehicles changes direction, the relative velocity between them will also change. It may increase, decrease, or become zero depending on the new direction and speed of the vehicles.