Finding the velocity of a car in a different frame of reference

In summary, the conversation discusses the velocity of a first car in two different frames of reference: S (the road) and S' (the second car). The Galilean transformation is brought up and there is some confusion about the correct formula, but it is ultimately determined that V is the speed of the second car with respect to the road and the final equation for v' is V. The conversation ends with a comment about the precision of the question.
Redwaves
Homework Statement
A car is moving on a road with a initial speed ##v = v_0## and then it starts to speed up with ##a_0## what's the speed of this car in the frame of reference on a second car moving at the speed V.
Relevant Equations
##v' = (v_0 + at) - V##
Here's what I did so far.
The velocity of the first car is ##v = v_0 +at##

Frame of reference S = the road
Frame of reference S' = the second car

thus, v' is the speed of the first car in the frame of reference S' and v the speed in the frame of reference S.

Here's what make me doubt.
The Galilean transformation
##v' = v - V##
V should be the speed between S and S', in this case what I wrote is wrong.
V should be ##(v_0 + at) - V ##, right?

And then, ##v' = (v_0 + at) - ((v_0 + at) - V)## does it make sense ?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Redwaves said:
Here's what make me doubt.
The Galilean transformation
##v' = v - V##
V should be the speed between S and S', in this case what I wrote is wrong.
V should be ##(v_0 + at) - V ##, right?

And then, ##v' = (v_0 + at) - ((v_0 + at) - V)## does it make sense ?
You were correct the first time. V is the speed of the second car (and thus frame S') with respect to S.

Realize that your final equation becomes ##v' = (v_0 + at) - ((v_0 + at) - V) = V##. Does that make sense?

Likes Redwaves
I see. I didn't realize that the road is at rest... Of course the speed between S and S' is V.
Thanks!

Redwaves said:
Homework Statement:: A car is moving on a road with a initial speed ##v = v_0## and then it starts to speed up with ##a_0## what's the speed of this car in the frame of reference on a second car moving at the speed V.
If someone is going to set questions like this, they ought to be more precise, IMO:

A car is moving on relative to a road with an initial speed velocity ##v = v_0## and then it starts to speed up with accelerate at ##a_0##. What's the speed velocity of this car in the frame of reference of a second car moving at the speed velocity V relative to the road.

1. How do you find the velocity of a car in a different frame of reference?

The velocity of a car in a different frame of reference can be found by using the formula v' = v - u, where v' is the velocity in the new frame of reference, v is the velocity in the original frame of reference, and u is the velocity of the new frame of reference with respect to the original frame.

2. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude (speed) and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only represents magnitude.

3. How does a change in frame of reference affect the velocity of a car?

A change in frame of reference does not affect the actual velocity of a car, but it changes the way the velocity is measured and represented. The velocity in the new frame of reference will be different, but the actual motion of the car remains the same.

4. What is the importance of considering frame of reference in calculating velocity?

Considering frame of reference is important because it allows us to accurately describe the motion of an object from different perspectives. It also helps us understand how different observers may perceive the same motion differently.

5. Can the velocity of a car be negative in a different frame of reference?

Yes, the velocity of a car can be negative in a different frame of reference. This indicates that the car is moving in the opposite direction in the new frame of reference compared to the original frame of reference.