Relativistic doppler shift and radar

In summary: Thanks for the clarification!In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a stationary radar and a moving target, with the radar acting as both an emitter and a receiver. The goal is to find the exact expression for the frequency of the received wave, viewed by the receiver part of the radar. The conversation also considers the use of the relativistic Doppler shift formula and suggests two possible approaches to deriving the correct answer.
Corvinus96
Consider at stationnary radar at the origin ##z=0## and a target (speed ##v##) moving along the ##z## axis and away from the radar. The radar is sending plane waves (frequency ##f_i##) to the target and they come back to the radar (the radar is then both an emitter and a receiver). I am interested in the exact expression of the frequency ##f_r## of the received wave (the one that bounces back off the target) viewed by the "receiver part" of the radar.

Here is my attempt to the problem
(I did not learn special relativity) : Because the radar is the observer (and not the moving target), I cannot make directly use of the relativistic doppler shift formula. My goal then is to convert my situation into a source/moving-observer one.

Let's call the ##\tau(t)## the time taken for the emitted wave to go hit the target and come back to the radar. ##\dfrac{\tau(t)}{2}## is then the time taken for the wave to hit the target and is given by this equation :

$$c \left(\dfrac{\tau(t)}{2}\right) = d(t) + v\left(\dfrac{\tau(t)}{2}\right)$$

where ##c## is the speed of light, ##d(t) = d_0+vt## the distance radar-target. We then find :

$$\tau(t) = \dfrac{2d(t)}{c-v} = \dfrac{2d(0)}{c-v} + \dfrac{2vt}{c-v} $$
I now imagine a equivalent situation in which there is no more target but another radar moving with speed ##v_r## which is going to act like the receiver (recall that in the first situation, these two radars were considered as a single entity). The time taken by the emitted wave to hit the receiver is : $$\tau(t) = \dfrac{d_r(t)}{c-v_r} = \dfrac{d_r(0)}{c-v_r} + \dfrac{vt}{c-v_r}$$ where ##d_r(t)## is the distance from the stationnary radar (##z=0##) to the receiving radar. To make those two situations equivalent, I have to equate the two expressions for ##\tau(t)## : $$\dfrac{2d(0)}{c-v} + \dfrac{2vt}{c-v} = \dfrac{d_r(0)}{c-v_r} + \dfrac{vt}{c-v_r}$$ I find $$v_r = \dfrac{2cv}{c+v}$$ The frequency observed by the radar is then (by the relativistic doppler formula): $$f_r = f_i \sqrt{\dfrac{1-v_r/c}{1+v_r/c}} = f_i\sqrt{\dfrac{(1 - \frac{2 v}{c + v})}{(1+\frac{2 v}{c + v})}} = f_i\sqrt{\dfrac{c - v}{c + 3 v}}$$ Is my reasoning correct? Did I forget to make use of special relativity when I calculated ##\tau(t)##? Does the radar hear the same frequency in both situations? (in other words, is it sufficient to equate the two expressions for ##\tau(t)## to make the two situations equivalent from the receiver standpoint?).

Physics news on Phys.org
No, this is not correct. Hints:

1) If you do this all in the emitter receiver frame, you need not use SR Doppler at all, just wave crest propagation to and from a moving mirror.

2) If you do it in the mirror frame, you need to worry about SR Doppler twice, for receding emitter to mirror; and for reflected signal per mirror receding from original source.

You should be able to work it out two ways from these hints, getting the same answer for both.Note, I am deliberately not giving you the extremely simple answer, so you get the satisfaction of deriving it yourself.

Last edited:
Since the OP hasn't come back, I will post the answer for the record, in case someone visits this thread. The received frequency is simply (c - v)/(c + v) times the initial frequency.

PAllen said:
The received frequency is simply (c - v)/(c + v) times the initial frequency.

Shouldn't there be a square root there?

PeterDonis said:
Shouldn't there be a square root there?

The Doppler shift has to be applied twice. First A is the transmitter and B is the receiver; then B is the transmitter and A is the receiver.

George Jones said:
The Doppler shift has to be applied twice.

Ah, got it.

1. What is the relativistic doppler shift?

The relativistic doppler shift is a phenomenon in which the observed frequency of a wave, such as light or sound, is either increased or decreased due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. This effect is described by the theory of relativity, and is important for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves, such as those used in radar technology.

2. How does the relativistic doppler shift affect radar technology?

In radar technology, the relativistic doppler shift plays a crucial role in accurately determining the speed and distance of a moving target. By measuring the change in frequency of the radar signal reflected off the target, the doppler shift can indicate the target's velocity relative to the radar system. This information is used in various applications, including air traffic control and weather forecasting.

3. What is the difference between relativistic and classical doppler shift?

The classical doppler shift, also known as the "normal" doppler effect, only takes into account the relative motion of the source and observer. However, the relativistic doppler shift also considers the relative motion of the medium through which the wave is traveling. This is important when dealing with high-speed objects, such as those encountered in radar systems, where the effects of relativity cannot be ignored.

4. Can the relativistic doppler shift be used to measure the speed of light?

Yes, the relativistic doppler shift can be used to measure the speed of light. In fact, this was one of the first experiments that provided evidence for the theory of relativity. By measuring the change in frequency of light emitted from a moving source, scientists were able to confirm that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

5. Is the relativistic doppler shift only applicable to electromagnetic waves?

No, the relativistic doppler shift can also be observed in other types of waves, such as sound waves. However, it is most commonly associated with electromagnetic waves, as they travel at the speed of light and are often used in applications where precise measurements of relative motion are necessary, such as in radar technology.