Relativistic Energy: Calculating Time Difference for Neutrinos from Supernova

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the difference in time between two neutrinos emitted from a supernova 150,000 lightyears away. The difference is almost negligible and the calculation involves using the equation E={\gamma}m_0c^2 and the binomial theorem to find the difference in velocities and then the time difference. There were some issues with the initial velocity calculations, but they were eventually resolved. The final result is approximately 2.1 seconds.
Warr
Hey I have a problem concerning relativistic energy

One neutrino has an energy of 10 MeV and a rest mass of 10 eV/c^2. Another neutrino has an energy of 30 MeV and a rest mass of 10 eV/c^2.

Calculate the difference in time that the two particles arrive at Earth if they are emitted from a supernova 150,000 lightyears away.

Unless I am doing the calculation wrong, the difference is almost negligable.

I used [tex]E={\gamma}m_0c^2=\frac{m_0c^2}{\sqrt{(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

for each particle and got

[tex]v_1=c\sqrt{(1-10^{-12})}[/tex] and [tex]v_2=c\sqrt{(1-\frac{10^{-13}}{9})}[/tex]

and therefore the difference in time is

[tex]{\Delta}t=\frac{d}{c}\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{(1-10^{-12})}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{(1-\frac{10^{-13}}{9})}}\right)[/tex]

When I plugged it into maple, I got [tex]{\Delta}t= 1000 s[/tex]. But there is no way I would have gotten this through a calculator (would have rounded it to 0 since each of the velocities would round to c. So either I am doing it wrong, or I need to find a way to simplify the expression so that I don't require a computer program to get the answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think those velocities are correct, and I think I can do the problem on my calculator. Check your work.

I checked them, and found the exponents to be off by 1 each, so I changed them to -12 and -13. Other than that, I still can't do it with my calculator. If I try to plug in the final expression, I simply get 0. Also, I plugged the expressions I got for the velocities back into my original expression for E, and got 10^7 eV and 3*10^7 eV respectivly, exactly what it should be. Also, I checked my maple calculationa and found it I forgot to divide by c, so I got [tex]{\Delta}t=3.3*10^{-6}s[/tex].

Last edited:
Warr said:
I checked them, and found the exponents to be off by 1 each, so I changed them to -12 and -13. Other than that, I still can't do it with my calculator. If I try to plug in the final expression, I simply get 0. Also, I plugged the expressions I got for the velocities back into my original expression for E, and got 10^7 eV and 3*10^7 eV respectivly, exactly what it should be. So the only thing that I can assume is that I am doing the whole problem wrong.
I noted the exponents problem, but you were right about the calculator. I cannot do it on mine either. I don't think your approach is wrong.

OK. You should be able to do this using the binomial theoem. Since the important thing is the difference between the velocities, not the velocities themselves, expand the velocity equations and take the difference. Then calculate the time difference.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/alg3.html#bt

Only the first and second terms matter, and the first terms go away when you take the difference.

I think your last result is way off

Last edited:
I ended up getting about 2.37 s using the expansion (Also found that the second exponent should actually be -14). Does this seem right?

Warr said:
I ended up getting about 2.37 s using the expansion (Also found that the second exponent should actually be -14). Does this seem right?
I got 2.1 seconds. I think you're still a bit off on the velocity calculations

(10eV/10Mev)^2=10^(-12)

(10eV/30Mev)^2=(1/9)(10eV/10Mev)^2=(1/9)10^(-12)=1.111111111x10^(-13)

I recalculated and got that. I was plugging in 1 eV for the second particle instead of 10eV. Thanks for your help.

Related to Relativistic Energy: Calculating Time Difference for Neutrinos from Supernova

1. What is relativistic energy?

Relativistic energy is the energy of an object that is moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, including time dilation and length contraction, on an object's energy.

2. How is relativistic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating relativistic energy is E = (γ - 1)mc^2, where E is the energy, γ is the Lorentz factor (which takes into account the object's velocity), m is the object's rest mass, and c is the speed of light.

3. What is the time difference for neutrinos from a supernova?

The time difference for neutrinos from a supernova is the difference in arrival times between neutrinos and photons from the same event. This is due to the fact that neutrinos, being extremely light and electrically neutral, travel at almost the speed of light and are not affected by the dense material in the supernova's core.

4. How is the time difference for neutrinos from a supernova calculated?

The time difference for neutrinos from a supernova can be calculated using the formula Δt = (1 - v^2/c^2)^(-1/2) * Δt0, where Δt is the observed time difference, v is the velocity of the neutrino, and Δt0 is the time difference if the neutrino were to travel at the speed of light.

5. What is the significance of calculating the time difference for neutrinos from a supernova?

Calculating the time difference for neutrinos from a supernova allows us to test the predictions of special relativity and understand the behavior of particles at high speeds. It also provides valuable information about the properties and structure of supernovae, which are important astronomical events that can have a significant impact on the universe.