Relativistic generalization of Larmor fomula?

In summary, the author gets ##Power = - \frac{e^2}{6 \pi \epsilon_0 c^3} \frac{dp_{\mu} dp^{\mu}}{d\tau d\tau}## -- (2) then by replacing ##\textbf{v} = \frac{\textbf{p}}{m}## he/she gets ##Power = - \frac{e^2}{6 \pi \epsilon_0 c^3} \frac{dp_{\mu} dp^{\mu}}{d\tau d\tau}## -- (1)
genxium
While reading an online tutorial (http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/Class/phy319/phy319/node146.html) about deriving the relativistic generalization of Larmor Formula, I got some problems with the steps.

Basically with an assumption ##\beta \ll 1## the author gets

##Power = \frac{e^2}{6 \pi \epsilon_0 c^3} |\frac{d\textbf{v}}{dt}|^2## -- (1)

then by replacing ##\textbf{v} = \frac{\textbf{p}}{m}## he/she gets

##Power = - \frac{e^2}{6 \pi \epsilon_0 c^3} \frac{dp_{\mu} dp^{\mu}}{d\tau d\tau}## -- (2)

where ##p^{\mu}, p_{\mu}## are contravariant and covariant forms of the momentum 4-vector respectively. To my understanding it's using Minkowski metric.

According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larmor_formula#Covariant_form), result (2) makes sense because when ##\beta## again goes to ##\beta \ll 1## (2) reduces to (1).

So here comes a problem, the reasoning for (1) makes use of the assumption ##\beta \ll 1##, thus the WHOLE CONTEXT is already non-relativistic, how come one can derive (2) from (1) in this context?

By the way there might be a mistake in the tutorial: when starting with (1), the author takes ##\textbf{v} = \frac{\textbf{p}}{m}##, then he/she directly applies

##|\frac{d\textbf{v}}{dt}|^2 = \frac{1}{m^2} |\frac{d\textbf{p}}{dt}|^2##

which doesn't seems right, in ##\frac{d(\textbf{p}/m)}{dt}## both ##\textbf{p}## and ##m## are functions of ##t##.

I did check other tutorials about Larmor formula like http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node130.html, but the maths is taking much time to understand there :(

Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
To get the covariant form the author has introduced Lorentz scalar ##\frac{dp_{\mu} dp^{\mu}}{d\tau d\tau}## making the expression manifestly covariant. This is not affected by the restriction on ##\beta##.

You say that ##m## is a function of ##t##. If ##m## is the rest mass then this is not true.

Thanks for the reply!

Mentz114 said:
You say that ##m## is a function of ##t##. If ##m## is the rest mass then this is not true.

about the mass, I'm still confused by the author's notation. I did notice that he/she uses ##m## to represent rest mass some chapters before. However it's not mentioned that the derivation is carried out in the particle's frame, hence ##\textbf{v} = \frac{\textbf{p}}{m}## should apply to any frame here -- or, say that the observer is measuring in frame ##S##, then ##S## is not necessarily the particle's frame and all ##\textbf{v}, \textbf{p}, m## are with respect to ##S##.

Mentz114 said:
To get the covariant form the author has introduced Lorentz scalar...

The introduction of Lorentz scalar is the last step of the derivation which is another way of saying "##(\frac{d\textbf{p}}{d\tau})^2 - (\frac{1}{c^2}\frac{dE}{d\tau})## in Minkowski metric" to me. It's not clear to me when it jumps out of the ##\beta \ll 1## context.

genxium said:
about the mass, I'm still confused by the author's notation. I did notice that he/she uses ##m## to represent rest mass some chapters before. However it's not mentioned that the derivation is carried out in the particle's frame, hence ##\textbf{v} = \frac{\textbf{p}}{m}## should apply to any frame here -- or, say that the observer is measuring in frame ##S##, then ##S## is not necessarily the particle's frame and all ##\textbf{v}, \textbf{p}, m## are with respect to ##S##.
Rest mass is frame invariant in the ##\beta<<1## regime, however it is defined. But if you are using ##m'=\gamma m## or some kind of 'relativistic mass', I think that is wrong.

The introduction of the Lorentz scalar is the last step of the derivation which is another way of saying "##(\frac{d\textbf{p}}{d\tau})^2 - (\frac{1}{c^2}\frac{dE}{d\tau})## in Minkowski metric" to me. It's not clear to me when it jumps out of the ##\beta \ll 1## context.

To be covariant the quantity must be a Lorentz scalar. ##p^\mu p_\mu## is obviously invariant under coordinate transformation because ##\lambda p^\mu \lambda^{-1} p_\mu=p^\mu p_\nu = -mc^2##. ( note that ##m## here must be invariant ).

Mentz114 said:
Rest mass is frame invariant in the ##\beta<<1## regime, however it is defined. But if you are using ##m'=\gamma m## or some kind of 'relativistic mass', I think that is wrong.

I'd like to clarify my opinion for the mass first. Surely the rest mass is frame invariant, my point is that beginning with ##|\frac{d\textbf{v}}{dt}|^2##, the author did

##\textbf{v} = \frac{\textbf{p}}{m}## -- (3)

now what I argued was that the ##m## in (3) is NOT rest mass, thus it should be followed by

##|\frac{d\textbf{v}}{dt}|^2 = |\frac{d(\textbf{p}/m)}{dt}|^2## -- (4)

and the ##m## in (4) is not rest mass either so it's time dependent.

I'm afraid I was totally wrong from the very beginning, problem solved now.

@Mentz114 you're alright in your answers, thanks a lot but they didn't hit the key point of my confusion :)

Here's what solves my problem (from http://www.cv.nrao.edu/course/astr534/LarmorRad.html):

To treat particles moving at nearly the speed of light in the observer's frame, we must use Larmor's equation to calculate the radiation in the particle's rest frame and then transform the result to the observer's frame in a relativistically correct way.

1. What is the Larmor formula?

The Larmor formula is a classical formula that describes the power radiated by an accelerated charged particle. It states that the power is directly proportional to the square of the acceleration and the square of the charge, and inversely proportional to the fourth power of the speed of light.

2. What is the relativistic generalization of the Larmor formula?

The relativistic generalization of the Larmor formula takes into account the effects of special relativity on the acceleration of a charged particle. It incorporates the Lorentz factor, which accounts for the increase in mass and decrease in acceleration at high speeds.

3. How is the relativistic Larmor formula derived?

The relativistic Larmor formula can be derived by starting with the classical formula and then applying the Lorentz transformation to the acceleration and velocity of the charged particle. This results in a modified formula that takes into account the effects of special relativity.

4. What are the applications of the relativistic Larmor formula?

The relativistic Larmor formula is used in various fields of physics, including particle accelerators, plasma physics, and astrophysics. It is also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in high-speed environments, such as in space or near the speed of light.

5. Are there any limitations to the relativistic Larmor formula?

Like the classical Larmor formula, the relativistic Larmor formula is only applicable to point charges moving at constant acceleration. It also does not take into account quantum effects, which become important at small scales. Additionally, it does not apply to non-inertial reference frames.