Relativistic momentum and gamma factor - differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show the force on a relativistic particle when it is perpendicular or parallel to the particle's velocity. It also mentions the use of the fact that the time derivative of gamma is equal to the product of v_x, gamma^3, and dv_x/dt. The conversation also addresses an issue with the formula for d(gamma)/dt and suggests taking the time derivative of the full momentum vector and analyzing two cases. Finally, there is a hint given for solving the second problem, which involves using hyperbolic trigonometric functions.
kapitan90

Homework Statement

I am supposed to show that the force on a relativistic particle when
a) it's perpendicular to particle's velocity is [tex]F=γm_0\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]
b) it's parallel to particle's velocity is [tex]F_x=m_0γ^3\frac{dv_x}{dt}[/tex]

I may make use of the fact that [tex]\frac{dγ}{dt}=\frac{v_xγ^3}{c^2}*\frac{dv_x}{dt}[/tex]
2. Relevant equation
I don't understand why [tex]\frac{dγ}{dt} [/tex]is 0 in case a) (this follows from the last formula, but I don't understand it either), why do we use [tex]v_x[/tex] instead of v which γ depends on ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am also supposed to show that the kinetic energy of a particle accelerated from rest to [tex]v_x [/tex]is[tex]W =∫F_xdx=m_0c^2(γ-1)[/tex] but I am stuck with the integral[tex]∫ (1-v^2/c^2)^{-0.5} dx[/tex] I tried to integrate it by parts and to use Wolfram, but it couldn't solve it either. Any ideas?

One problem at a time. First problem
Your formula for d(gamma)/dt is not quite right. Well, it's right for your scenario, but it's also confusing you. Try going over the time derivative again. Maybe first try to take the time derivative of the full momentum vector, and then analyze the two cases when it comes time. Then to predict a future complication, don't be worried if you have a v^2/c^2, you can rewrite as some common terms.

Okay, because I don't know when I'll check back, I'll give you a clue to the second problem, it starts with hyper and ends with trig.

Last edited:

Related to Relativistic momentum and gamma factor - differential equation

1. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in physics that takes into account the effects of special relativity on the traditional definition of momentum. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity, and then dividing by the square root of 1 minus the object's velocity squared over the speed of light squared.

2. What is the gamma factor in the context of relativistic momentum?

The gamma factor, represented by the Greek letter gamma (γ), is a mathematical term used to describe the ratio between the relativistic momentum and the classical momentum of an object. It is also known as the Lorentz factor and is often used to calculate the effects of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity.

3. How is the differential equation for relativistic momentum derived?

The differential equation for relativistic momentum is derived using the equations of special relativity, specifically the Lorentz transformation equations for momentum. By taking the derivative of these equations with respect to time, we can obtain a differential equation that describes how an object's momentum changes with time in a relativistic scenario.

4. What are the applications of the differential equation for relativistic momentum?

The differential equation for relativistic momentum has various applications in physics, particularly in the fields of particle and nuclear physics. It is used to study the behavior of particles at high speeds, such as in particle accelerators, and to understand the effects of relativistic motion on the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. How does the gamma factor affect the behavior of objects at high speeds?

The gamma factor plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds. As an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, the gamma factor approaches infinity, indicating that the object's mass and momentum also increase without bound. This effect is known as relativistic mass increase and is a key concept in special relativity.