Relativity and Equivalence of Mass and Energy

In summary: Look up the formula for "length contraction" (one of the key relativistic effects).In summary, an electron with a rest mass of 9.11*10^-31 kg is accelerated to a speed of 99% the speed of light and is moving through a 2-km-long tunnel. Using the equation for kinetic energy, the mass of the electron can be calculated to be approximately 6.458*10^-30 kg. To calculate the length of the tunnel in the frame of reference of the electron, the formula for length contraction can be used. This shows that the "rest" length of the tunnel is very relevant in this problem.
Alena Selone

Homework Statement

An electron is accelerated to a speed that is 99 percent the speed of light, and is moving through a 2-km-long tunnel. The rest mass of the electron is 9.11*10^-31 kg. What is the mass of the electron at this speed?
c= speed of light

Homework Equations

t= (tsubscript(o))/ root(1-(v^2/c^2)
L= Lsubscript(o)* root(1-0)= Lsubscript(o)
p= (mv)/ root(1-0) = mv
KE= ((mc^2)/ root(1-(v^2/c^2))-mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging the rest mass into the last equation on the top which gives me 9.11*10^-31/ root(1-((.99c)^2/c^2
which calculates out to
9.11*10^-31/ root(1-.9801)
9.11*10^-31/root(0.0199)
9.11*10^-31/0.14106736
=6.458*10^-30

I'm unsure if this is correct. It's listed as one of the answers but I don't know if I used the correct equation, so the fact that it's listed as an answer could be a trick. I also don't know how the 2km long tunnel plays into the equation. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me. The length of the tunnel is irrelevant. (Note that "relativistic mass" is a rather antiquated concept nowadays.)

Doc Al said:
Looks fine to me. The length of the tunnel is irrelevant. (Note that "relativistic mass" is a rather antiquated concept nowadays.)
So in a different equation using some of the same values, say,
An electron is accelerated to a speed that is 99 percent the speed of light, and is moving through a 2-km-long tunnel.
Could I calculate the length of the tunnel in the frame of reference of the electron or is that too irrelevant?

Alena Selone said:
Could I calculate the length of the tunnel in the frame of reference of the electron or is that too irrelevant?
Sure you can. For that problem, the "rest" length of the tunnel is very relevant.

Doc Al said:
Sure you can. For that problem, the "rest" length of the tunnel is very relevant.
So how would I do that?

Alena Selone said:
So how would I do that?
Look up the formula for "length contraction" (one of the key relativistic effects).

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a set of two theories developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. The first is the special theory of relativity, which deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. The second is the general theory of relativity, which extends the principles of the special theory to include the effects of gravity.

2. What is the equivalence of mass and energy?

The equivalence of mass and energy is a concept that stems from Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. This equation states that mass and energy are different forms of the same thing and are interchangeable. In other words, a small amount of mass can be converted into a large amount of energy, and vice versa.

3. How does relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Einstein's theory of relativity revolutionized our understanding of the universe by providing a new framework for understanding space, time, and gravity. It has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations and is the basis for many modern technologies, such as GPS systems.

4. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

The special theory of relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity, while the general theory of relativity extends these principles to include the effects of gravity. In other words, special relativity applies to objects in uniform motion, while general relativity applies to objects in any type of motion, including acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does relativity explain the concept of time dilation?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative and can be affected by factors such as motion and gravity. This means that time can appear to pass at different rates for different observers, depending on their relative motion or position. This phenomenon is known as time dilation and has been confirmed by experiments, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment.